Ultimate Subaru Message Board

?polish for fine windsheid scratches....

I edit a newsletter for an antique car club, and several years ago I found an article on the web about a windshield polishing kit that you could use to polish out those fine scratches yourself. As I recall it came with a special glass compound and a 3 or 4 inch diameter pad that attached to an ordinary speed drill. The article walked you through the steps required and showed a before and after photograph. The results were more than satisfactory. Sorry, its too long ago to remember when and where, but I'm sure if you did a Google search for "windshield polishing" it will pop up.

I edit a newsletter for an antique car club, and several years ago I found an article on the web about a windshield polishing kit that you could use to polish out those fine scratches yourself. As I recall it came with a special glass compound and a 3 or 4 inch diameter pad that attached to an ordinary speed drill. The article walked you through the steps required and showed a before and after photograph. The results were more than satisfactory. Sorry, its too long ago to remember when and where, but I'm sure if you did a Google search for "windshield polishing" it will pop up.

question is how good was the night vision after that polisihng. Optically during the day a windsheild can seem perfect in daylight, but at night it can look like sriving through a snow storm.

nipper

• 3 weeks later...

Even if you can polish the scratches out it will never perform as well as a new windshield. A new windshield will cost between $130 and $200. It is money well spent. It is surprising just how nice an new windshield is.

After looking at the options I decided that messing with old windshields is not worth the time and expense involved. Find the best windshield at the best price and pay for it. Even a second job at McD is time better spent than goofing around with an old windshield.

Spring a couple extra bucks for new wipers while you are at it. You will be amazed at how much better you like your car when you drive in bad weather with a good windshield and good wipers.

Money well spent.

Comprehensive insurance will pay for the windshield (cracked) with almost no questions asked. Comprehensive is only a few dollars a year more and pays for deer crashes too. A new windshield will pay for many years of comp.