Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking to change oil pan gasket- help!

Question 1: I have a 2000 Outback that is leaking from the back half of the oil pan. It has 102k miles and is an automatic. My question is can I do this without messing with the front suspension(unhooking parts in order to get to all of the bolts of the oil pan).

Question 2: I have looked on ebay for a 2000 Outback service manual. Can only one suggest one to me and what to look for. I'd like a disc with all Outback/Legacy 2000 info on it.

Question 3: When I do replace the oil pan gasket, is there anything specific I should be looking at to replace, ie. other gaskets or other parts to replace while I'm in there.

Thank you for your help.

I had a similar leak on my 98 Legacy GT that turned out the be the rear main seal.

I got a factory manual from books4cars.com . I did a search a found a few for the 2000 Legacy and Outback. Hope this link works: http://www.books4cars.com/result2.htm?findyear=2000&imageField2.x=33&imageField2.y=5

The site is pretty easy if it doesn't.

I'll be changing the thermostat out in the morning, if it doesn't rain. I'll take a look and see if there is anything obviously in the way on the pan. Mine is a 98 DOHC EJ25, but it should be pretty similar.

Rob

As soon as I read your post I also was thinking rear seal, but I see other people have already told you this. My 97 Legacy wagon rear seal started leaking at around 100,000 miles and I put Gold Eagle stop leak in it and it quit, the motor lasted another 200,000 miles and never leaked again, also I never had the cam seals leak after this. Most people here will say never put stop leak in your engine, that choice is yours but I have never had problems using it. If it is the rear main seal and you want to have it changed I would guess you are looking at around 350.00 dollars (Texas price) to have a transmission shop pull the transmission and change the seal.

Question 1: I have a 2000 Outback that is leaking from the back half of the oil pan. It has 102k miles and is an automatic. My question is can I do this without messing with the front suspension(unhooking parts in order to get to all of the bolts of the oil pan).

Question 2: I have looked on ebay for a 2000 Outback service manual. Can only one suggest one to me and what to look for. I'd like a disc with all Outback/Legacy 2000 info on it.

Question 3: When I do replace the oil pan gasket, is there anything specific I should be looking at to replace, ie. other gaskets or other parts to replace while I'm in there.

Thank you for your help.

My money is on rear main seal also. Let it leak until it start creating a puddle on the ground, since I'm guessing it is just making a mess on the engine at this point. Even a couple of drops on the ground isn't significant oil loss. When your transmission goes, then replace the seal.

I had a similar leak on my 98 Legacy GT that turned out the be the rear main seal.

I got a factory manual from books4cars.com . I did a search a found a few for the 2000 Legacy and Outback. Hope this link works: http://www.books4cars.com/result2.htm?findyear=2000&imageField2.x=33&imageField2.y=5

The site is pretty easy if it doesn't.

I'll be changing the thermostat out in the morning, if it doesn't rain. I'll take a look and see if there is anything obviously in the way on the pan. Mine is a 98 DOHC EJ25, but it should be pretty similar.

Rob

Thanks Rob for your help, John.

My money is on rear main seal also. Let it leak until it start creating a puddle on the ground, since I'm guessing it is just making a mess on the engine at this point. Even a couple of drops on the ground isn't significant oil loss. When your transmission goes, then replace the seal.

Are Subaru transmissions dependable? I've heard that their not. This is my first subaru. I like the car, but the dependablility is not as high as I would expect. People really like them, but dependablility is important to me.

PS: I'm a mtn biker and like in Portland, OR. From one mtn biker to another thanks. By the way, where do you live?

As soon as I read your post I also was thinking rear seal, but I see other people have already told you this. My 97 Legacy wagon rear seal started leaking at around 100,000 miles and I put Gold Eagle stop leak in it and it quit, the motor lasted another 200,000 miles and never leaked again, also I never had the cam seals leak after this. Most people here will say never put stop leak in your engine, that choice is yours but I have never had problems using it. If it is the rear main seal and you want to have it changed I would guess you are looking at around 350.00 dollars (Texas price) to have a transmission shop pull the transmission and change the seal.

Thanks for your good words. I'll check it out.

Are Subaru transmissions dependable? I've heard that their not. This is my first subaru. I like the car, but the dependablility is not as high as I would expect. People really like them, but dependablility is important to me.

PS: I'm a mtn biker and like in Portland, OR. From one mtn biker to another thanks. By the way, where do you live?

they used to be, but there seemed to be a bad batch of them around in 1999? i would have to check.

Subaru trannies are very robust. treat them right, resepct the AWD and you can get one to last the life of the car.

nipper

I wasn't trying to infer that the auto will fail, more that the leak is nothing to worry about until significant oil loss occurs, or you are concerned about polluting the environment due to dripping oil.

I'm in Sonoma County, about 50 minutes North of San Francisco. The riding available near SF is pretty lame, but up here it is more technical and fun.