Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Help...starts, Then Turns Off!!!

:eek:have an '86 soobie gl 5 spd wagon, until recently she was running fine, then somewhere in the middle of driving around town, she just started dropping in the tach/idle...then turned off. she started right up but wont stay on (unless i play with gas pedal) and i keep her idling and once the light turns green, i give her gas and off we go. but if have to stop or slow down or downshift, and let the foot off the gas as a normal driver. she'll die. then we do it all over again. what can it be??? can some of you soobie wizards point me in the right direction, or where or what can i do or check out? she's not turbo, just a simple carb. nothing fancy shmansy about her. thanks guys. baggyshorts ur the best!:headbang:

umm... check your fuel pump. turn the key on without starting the car and listen for a very slight humming towards the back of your car. if you get under the rear of your car you will see a white shot glass size fuel filter near the right rear wheel. Change that, it's only about 4-5 bucks anyway. the box you will see in front of that on the same platform is the fuel pump. near it, you will see it's electrical hookup. unplug it and spray some WD-40 in there and clean it out and reconnect it. if that doesn't work, then just try a basic tune-up. plugs, wires, air filter, oil change, all that stuff. if you haven't in a while it's a good idea anyhow.

-jordan

Hey Dude

This has all the symptoms of carby problems.

I would say that you have a blockage in the idle circuit of the carby. Simple rebuild/clean should fix it. Runs fine when going cause uses the other passages. Can sometimes see fuel leaking if idle circuits blocked as fuel trys to find a way through, can't and goes elswhere.

Also check the small vacumm hose on firewall side of carby, but this shouldnt cause it to stop, just to run crappy.

Finally if you do rebuild carby, which is not qa hard job just time consuming. put in extra fuel filters, it's extra insurance to stop carby blockages.