Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine advice needed 1994 Legacy

Symptoms: engine temp guage went to top, radiator started dumping antifreeze on ground. If I shut it off, it cools off - real fast. 5 minutes later, temp guage is at halfway point. I start it, it idles fine, fans come on. But if I try to drive, temp shoots up real fast. I replaced thermostat, as that is the most likely culprit. No change. I had a shop tell me that the head gasket was blown, but I don't think they actually did anything but lift the hood. I had another old timer tell me to replace the waterpump.

Based on my brief description and your knowledge of this engine, any suggestions? Does this sound familiar? I had one person suggest I replace the waterpump before I start to yank the engine, which is my next step.

If it's blown, I'll overhaul it myself, but don't want to do this unless it really is blown.

Coolant system is intact - I have not yet pulled water pump, though, and everything I hear points to water pump. I'll do that first thing in the morning. At this point it's water pump or head gaskets. Water pump is relatively cheap and easy to do. Head gaskets is not....

Update: I stripped the front of the engine. Waterpump had seized. If I didn't damage something by overheating, then we should be good to go. After I spend way too much money for water pump, rollers (2 bad, might as well replace all 4)(OMG, you would not believe how much these cost!), timing belt, belts, hoses. $20 for air tool fittings because my air tools have different fittings then compressor. Oil, oil flter, plugs, air filter, antifreeze (might as well service it while I have it apart), $105 for tow job. $50 for tools while I'm stuck in K-Mart parking lot and don't have any tools with me. $50 for t-stat and manual. $20 for pizza and soda for kids while stuck at K-Mart. Somehow I've spent $800, and I just don't understand where the money goes.

and I just don't understand where the money goes.

Ain't it the truth! But look at the bright side--you've got an engine that hopefully will be good to go for a long, long time. For a lot less than if you'd driven into a stealership.

The timing belt idler pulleys (I think that's what you meant by rollers) seem really expensive to me, a set of four probably cost you more than the rest of the parts combined. If they were not bad, I wouldn't have changed them, but I guess if two were shot, I would gett all four as well....

Matt

The timing belt idler pulleys (I think that's what you meant by rollers) seem really expensive to me, a set of four probably cost you more than the rest of the parts combined. If they were not bad, I wouldn't have changed them, but I guess if two were shot, I would gett all four as well....

Matt

Yes, that is what I meant, idler pulleys. One rough, one iffy, two OK but I don't want to have to tear down the front of this thing for another 60k miles, when the timing belt need replacement again. The look like big rollers because 3 of them run on the back of the timing belt, where the 4th is geared. I called the dealer - between $90 and $100 each. I was able to find a kit, with belt, for $350, Napa (hope it's a good quality brand. The car overheated enough to sputter, and when it did my wife stopped imemdiately. Also, the water pump was turning some, enough to prevent overheat at idle. That is what threw me, it would sit there and idle all day without overheating. If I wasn't 14 freeway miles from home, I would have idled home instead of having it towed.

And to tell you how stupid I can be LOL. I did not know the thermostat was bolted to the bottom of the engine, I assumed it was under the intake manifold because the upper hose went into a pipe that went under the mainfold. So, being the genious I am, I went and spent $30 or so on some tools at K-Mart because I didn't have my tools with me, pulled the intake manifold, and... no thermostat!! Then, when I put it back together, the intake manifold gasket bent at the end and I had a big air leak.

spent $30 or so on some tools at K-Mart because I didn't have my tools with me,

Can't you return those tools under the 'KMart rental policy'? :banana:

Glad you diagnosed it yourself, sorry to hear the addy parts are so much. Perhaps someone will post the best/cheapest alternative.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

I could probably return them, but I think I"ll stick in the trunk of the car for next time. I finally got the thing put back together, and it is running fine. I got lucky, it didn't overheat enough to do any immediate damage. I went ahead and replaced belts, hoses, plugs, filters, etc. We should be good for another 50,000 miles at least.

At 1stsubaruparts.com you can get all 4 idlers for about $250. The timing belt is less than $50, IIRC. Waterpump is like $70 or so. Do not order from the website. Give Jason a call at 866-528-5282. He will hook you up.