Ultimate Subaru Message Board

bleeding clutch - speed bleeders?

I decided that I needed to bleed my clutch ('02 OBW), the fluid was pretty dark, and it got very stiff when the temp was below freezing.

I found this thread which helped a lot.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41393

Couple questions;

-What size is the bleeder? I was thinking about picking up a speed bleeder to make things easier.

-I started to "two person" bleed, and i loosened the bleeder as my friend was pushing down on the clutch. Before the clutch hit bottom I closed the bleeder, but the clutch didn't return to the regular height without being pumped a bunch... Is that normal?

-Can I use a hand-mityvac to vacuum bleed? I think I saw somewhere on this board that it wasn't a good idea.

Thanks for the help!

Awesome, thanks. While I'm at it, maybe I'll get the brake ones too.

I was considering using a mityvac, but thought I read that it wasn't a good idea.. So instead I'll use a speedbleeder. No going overboard this time around!

• 5 years later...

hate to bump this but the speed bleeders do work on the slave cylinder? Mine only sometimes sticks to the floor when the motor gets warm or it's hot outside..

I've gotten so used to driving and pulling it up with my foot while driving I kinda don't give it a 2nd thought.

Yup! Speed bleeders work great for the slave. I think about a year ago I replaced the slave and hose because whenever it was hot out my clutch would stick to the floor pretty regularly. Bled it by myself with no problems.

Somewhere I have the part number I used.. but either the long or short bleeders work fine.

Yup! Speed bleeders work great for the slave. I think about a year ago I replaced the slave and hose because whenever it was hot out my clutch would stick to the floor pretty regularly. Bled it by myself with no problems.

Somewhere I have the part number I used.. but either the long or short bleeders work fine.

The 2nd part number above is the smaller one, when you replaced the hose did you just replace it with another rubber one? Do they make a steel braided one?

Yea, I just used the OE rubber one, it was like $25. They do make SS braided ones, but the only one I could find at the time that mentioned 00-04 Legacy/OB was a Goodrich complete kit (4+1) or something, and didn't feel like paying that much. I think you can get individual ones for WRX's, but no idea if the fittings are the same. (Would think they are, but no idea...)

Just replaced my slave cylinder in my 00 legacy using the mityvac. From opening the hood to compleatly changing and breeding the clutch system took 20 minutes. 5 minutes to bleed the system. I flushed 3 master cylinders full of fluid out to make sure all the old was out. I never even touched the pedal to bleed the system once. Never left under the hood. 5 minutes. I paid no attention to the bubbles in the line, that comes from the threads of the loose bleeder. Perfect the first time.. Been perfect for the last 400 miles. Perfect feel. I replaced the slave because it started sticking when it was hot out, or driven for a while. I think the mityvac is a great tool if used correctly.

Like I mentioned a few post ago, my slave took minutes with out ever touching the brake pedal. 5 minutes to change out the fluid and bleed. And you can use the mittvac for many other jobs. Motorcycle,cars,trucks,ATVs....speed bleeders are great, but most people only need them a few times. I highly recommend the mityvac.

http://www.google.com/search?q=mityvac+mv8000&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#q=mityvac+mv8000&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=u&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=b0c8Tq-4McXX0QGW2pDEBQ&ved=0CEUQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=eb827c0db78615cf&biw=1024&bih=660