Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 outback - advice needed on sympton and to Resuscitate or Euthanize?

I am looking for advice/ideas.

I have a 97 Outback with 150k miles on it.

The transmission was making some funny whirring noises and also binding on turns and the shop could only say "it needs a whole new transmission" and recommended that I continue to drive it until it died.

Well it is pretty much dead now. Even a gradual turn now produces a screaching sounds and the car bucks like a bronco. I suspect it's the cv joints. If anyone can confirm this please let me know.

The shop indicated that the "whole transmission" would also "include the cv joints" (once again I'm not sure of this and if anyone can help...).

So a new trasmission seems to be around $2200. Their are also some oil leaking issues which are around $1000. So the total repair costs are almost what the bluebook is ($3700).

Not a good situation.

Any ideas on whether the analysis is correct? How to get a transmission done for less? Whether it's even worth it? How to get it stolen?

Your thougts appreciated

Keep it simple:

Is the fluid properly serviced?

Install the FWD fuse, does that help?

If the fuse does not help drop the rear section of the rear drive shaft that should get rid of the torque bind but gas mileage will be bad!

Used Transmission will be less!

Oil leaks are easy if you can do the work.

if the trans is making noise, in addition to the bucking (torque bind), then i'd go used. if it's just TB (on auto)then maybe a repair.

automatic or manual??

The transmission was making some funny whirring noises and also binding on turns and the shop could only say "it needs a whole new transmission" and recommended that I continue to drive it until it died.

Well it is pretty much dead now. Even a gradual turn now produces a screaching sounds and the car bucks like a bronco. I suspect it's the cv joints. If anyone can confirm this please let me know.

The shop indicated that the "whole transmission" would also "include the cv joints" (once again I'm not sure of this and if anyone can help...).

So a new trasmission seems to be around $2200. Their are also some oil leaking issues which are around $1000. So the total repair costs are almost what the bluebook is ($3700).

Not a good situation.

Any ideas on whether the analysis is correct? How to get a transmission done for less? Whether it's even worth it? How to get it stolen?

Your thougts appreciated

Not a good situation.

Your thougts appreciated

that was the worst shop you could have ever gone too. SOunds like the shop only was interested in selling you a tranny as oppsed to repairing it for far less.

You had torque bind. By them telling you to keep driving it untill it was undrvieable was just wrong. Automatic or manual, when you have torque bind and do nothing about it, but keep driving the car, you can destroy the transmission. The car was repareable at some point, but now it is way beyond that. This is the worse case scenario where the entire driveline has taken a beating.

You can get a used transmission for the car for far less.

nipper

Not a good situation.

Your thougts appreciated

that was the worst shop you could have ever gone too. SOunds like the shop only was interested in selling you a tranny as oppsed to repairing it for far less.

You had torque bind. By them telling you to keep driving it untill it was undrvieable was just wrong. Automatic or manual, when you have torque bind and do nothing about it, but keep driving the car, you can destroy the transmission. The car was repareable at some point, but now it is way beyond that. This is the worse case scenario where the entire driveline has taken a beating.

You can get a used transmission for the car for far less.

nipper