Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake Bleeder Kit (pneumatic)

one man kit's do work well.. about 10 bucks at any parts store.. I just did my brakes yesterday.. a cinch..

just layed under the car, put the hose over the bleeder valve, opened 1 turn and pumped the brakes 3 or 4 times.. each wheel.. rr - lr - rf - lf..

rllywgn

I am a one man brake bleeder with a cement brick. after I tighten bleeder valve, I put brick on pedal, go back to bleeder valve and let it out. Slow, but with some time on my hands and alone in my work, it got the job done. :)

The hand operated vacuum pumps work great, too. I use one nearly daily at work, also good for fluid transfer with the larger reservoir container.

That ebay pneumatic one has a pretty deceptive ad- they are not quiet, they are actually quite loud, think running a blowgun constantly, and they consume from 6-9cfm of air, so you need a decent compressor to run it.

Im thinking about bleeding mine, I have a new MC and new rear pads on my Loyale, I installed them a few months back, and bled them, If I didnt bleed them "good" enough, would the pedal be HARDER to push, or sink to the floor easier? Mine sinks to the floor??

it should go about 1/4 to 1/2 down without the car running and will be very stiff. If it goes to the floor, that means you have air/water in the lines and they need to be bled. Another thing a lot of auto owners don't know is that the brake fluid should be changed every other year to keep the yellowish clear look to it. If not, it'll get water in the system, make the brakes spongy, and will turn the brake fluid more brown. It will also deteriorate the metal brake lines and wheel cylinder/calipers if not replaced with new fluid. Cheaper to do it once every couple years then have to go through and replace rusted brake lines, frozen calipers and wheel cylinders.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question:

Do I truly need to adjust my brakes (rear drums) before I bleed the system? More importantly, can I adjust my brakes without jacking up the car, or would this be a bad idea because then I won't be able to turn the wheel to see if it is locked by the brake?