Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy OB Striping...Suggustions?

I've been considering adding a little flair to my 98 Leg OB without making it look like a pimp mobile, or adding lots of $. It makes no reasonable sense for me to put money into cosmetics when I need a couple grand to fix under the hood what needs fixing, ie. defective head gaskets, etc. BUT, it is summer and after pricing decals, striping, etc. I figure that for cheap I can make it look cool this hot summer until I can afford to invest big bucks under the hood. It still runs anyhow, and I decided the problems I have are probably cheaper than buying something else w/problems someone else had in my price range.

That said, has anyone besides me noticed those babish curves on the OBs? My car's paint job is a reddish maroon and fairly new since I got it used and found out that it was possibly wrecked, but nicely restored. I was looking for some way to take advantage of the flairs, ie. upper side crease, possibly bubble roof, and especially the hood flair around the scoop. I get chided for the scoop every so often and I tell 'em, "Hey, so what if its just a cosmetic scoop, I like it!" BTW, I like the lines that surround it, like a pair of giant beetle mandibles, so I wish I knew of a way to set those off. Then I see that big racing stripes are cheap in Advanced Auto, even the carbon fiber ones, which might not be tooo austintacious (is that a word?).

THEN two weeks ago, I finally saw an out of town LEG OB drive through the intersection w/the big over the hood and roof pin+6" wide racing stripes! Guys, I almost ran a red light just to catch up w/that babe and check it out closer. I'm having a hard time finding in mags and net anything like a Leg OB to get some ideas. Just STis.

BTW, I picked up a bunch of rear window pin hole type stick on prints cheap, just in case I can do anything with them. They are for flat pick up trucks windows, so it might be a problem on the back. They are all flames comming out of a maltese cross. I don't like the maltese cross, whatever it is, but thought I might be able to paint over it before application of something. Maybe I can put them on side windows, w/advertising too. Ideas?

I know that lots of guys and gals have tricked out their Subies here that I really like, so anyhow, I'm looking for pics and suggestions.

eq

That said, has anyone besides me noticed those babish curves on the OBs?

eq

I have. I actually noticed them years ago. Every now and then, a car designer just gets it "right", and IMO the 2nd gen Legacy/1st Gen Outback is a great example of that. I don't care for the looks of the 1st gen Legacy's (though I've heard they run forever!) and I thought Subaru really ruined the design for the 3rd gen in 2000 when they raised the hood and added the big plastic cladding things to the side. The 4th gen Legacy's, I think, really redeemed their reputation for a balanced, pleasing design, but IMO it still looks "gimmicky" compared to the '95-'99 models.

As for the scoop, yes, it's unneccessary, but I like it. It cleans up the rather boring hood (whenever I see a 95 or 96 the hood just looks barren.)

So, I don't really have any advice on striping, I just wanted to agree with you that the 2nd Gen Legacy's Rock! :headbang:

I took the pinstripes off - even the little ones that ran over the wheel cladding. And the crossbars. And the AWD stickers in the side windows. And the Outback badge in the grille. And some decals on the tailgate.

I wanted to find a Legacy hood without the ricer scoop but never found one the same color.

It looks much cleaner with less rather than more. And you'll get more attention - people can't tell what's different, but they like it. Tape stripes are low rent. Wash it, wax it, save your money.....http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21523

attachment.php?attachmentid=1473&d=1095106718

attachment.php?attachmentid=1474&d=1095106785

I have. I actually noticed them years ago. Every now and then, a car designer just gets it "right", and IMO the 2nd gen Legacy/1st Gen Outback is a great example of that. I don't care for the looks of the 1st gen Legacy's (though I've heard they run forever!) and I thought Subaru really ruined the design for the 3rd gen in 2000 when they raised the hood and added the big plastic cladding things to the side. The 4th gen Legacy's, I think, really redeemed their reputation for a balanced, pleasing design, but IMO it still looks "gimmicky" compared to the '95-'99 models.

As for the scoop, yes, it's unneccessary, but I like it. It cleans up the rather boring hood (whenever I see a 95 or 96 the hood just looks barren.)

So, I don't really have any advice on striping, I just wanted to agree with you that the 2nd Gen Legacy's Rock! :headbang:

I agree Martinjmpr. '97-'99 got it right, and I like the latest model too. I guess my desire for adding a little is to accent those nice lines and somewhat unique features that tend to be less noticable, not for anyone else, because all that does IMHO is to make it more like a ticket magnet. I'm doing it for my own asthetic desire to make it match my tastes. I don't have a family, so why drive something that looks like a family car IMHO, if its borderline one way or another. I believe it has the shape that lends itself to slightly sporty, slightly family, depending on how its presented. I drive it that way too. Sometimes gas miserly, sometimes rally.

Ranger,

Good points. I think many of those factory stickers detract, rather than dress it up. I plan on stripping those off. I like the roof rack idea too, esp since I never use it. Who knows, maybe it'll cut wind drag slightly. I like your car, I just want to accent what I said above while adding practical window cover for heat deflection, privacy, and advertising, while trying to sport it up a little, not nascar it.

Best regards guys,

eq

I happen to have a 97 outback limited, and it has some discrete striping that I think really helps improve it cosmetically. (even if it is a little dusty in the picture)

Interesting. Were the 5-spoke wheels part of the limited package? I don't recall seeing wheels like that on an Outback.

Interesting. Were the 5-spoke wheels part of the limited package? I don't recall seeing wheels like that on an Outback.

I believe they are. Its previous owner was my aunt, and seeing as she didnt particuarly care what happened to the car as long as it got her from point A to point B, I would say they are the originals. Much better than the what was going on the standard outbacks the same year.

Hey Guys,

I decided to go ahead and remove my center roof cross members like Ranger did, and window stickers, and detail the exterior. Then, I'm just going to pin stripe the hood around the scoop where the crease lines are. Once I figure out, probably through trial and error, if the perforated window print that goes on the outside rear window will fit, I'll paint it with my design and hope it comes out ok. I'll do the same with the side windows as long as I know that the windows won't strip it off.

I'm still wondering how to fix my bumper w/out shelling out over $100 for a repaint out of pocket. A kid scraped it really bad. I might just do some kind of filler and touch up paint, but thats just temp too. Maybe a decal stripe, maybe that carbon fiber. Any suggestions?