Ultimate Subaru Message Board

In need of a new set of tires for the 05 LL Bean

Car has 25000 miles and the right rear tire is worn out.

The front tires seem to have about half tread left but considering buying all 4 and getting an alignment based on other threads I have seen here.

Seeking recommendations. Wife's car, mosty easily driven with occasional trips to the mountains of NC. Main concern is mileage and of course safety.

What do you recommend?

Where to buy

Best price.

Other advice

Thanks in advance for your help.

The 6 cylinder has performed very well and pleased with the purchase.

No problems encountered at this point. MPG has been around 20 intown and 25 trip. Used it to pull a trailer one time from the coast and had plenty of power and control.

OVer all I rate this an excellent car. The only problems is the alignment and it seems to search for the proper gear a little too soon and too oftern.

monk50 in NC

Any experience buying from the Ebay used tire companies? They seem to have tires on sale and at somewhat reasonable prices.

You are investing far too little in the only part of your car that touches the road......

Best place for tire reviews is legacygt.com.

Michelins are "expensive" right?

I put Michelin Hydroedge on my 97 63,000 miles ago. They still have 6-7/32nd tread (new is 11/32nd)and are the best rain tires I've ever driven on. My sister in law has the car now in VT and they are OK in snow - worn A/S's are not the hot setup for snow but you're probably talking about 5 days a year. But they lack the correct speed rating for an 05 H6.

In need of a new set of tires for the 05 LL Bean

Car has 25000 miles and the right rear tire is worn out.

The front tires seem to have about half tread left but considering buying all 4 and getting an alignment based on other threads I have seen here.

Seeking recommendations. Wife's car, mosty easily driven with occasional trips to the mountains of NC. Main concern is mileage and of course safety.

What do you recommend?

Where to buy

Best price.

Other advice

Thanks in advance for your help.

The 6 cylinder has performed very well and pleased with the purchase.

No problems encountered at this point. MPG has been around 20 intown and 25 trip. Used it to pull a trailer one time from the coast and had plenty of power and control.

OVer all I rate this an excellent car. The only problems is the alignment and it seems to search for the proper gear a little too soon and too oftern.

monk50 in NC

Any experience buying from the Ebay used tire companies? They seem to have tires on sale and at somewhat reasonable prices.

You might enjoy looking around at http://www.tirerack.com

I also have been VERY pleased with every encounter I've had at Discount Tire.

Take a good hard look at what you need your tires to do. Don't cheap out.

Carl

Tires are one thing to be very picky about with the AWD on Subaru's.

Make sure you try and keep all four tires on the car the exact same (wear, tread depth, etc...) Otherwise solenoids and clutches tend to get cooked by the constant slipping of different sized tires. I believe nipper even said that just having the tire pressures different can cause significant damage in only a few days. As far as rotating tires, I heard someone say every other oil change, and that sounded reasonable to me.

(This means that unless you really know what you are doing, you need to buy four new tires.)

I speak from personal experience, and a 1000$ repair bill.

Tires are one thing to be very picky about with the AWD on Subaru's.

Make sure you try and keep all four tires on the car the exact same (wear, tread depth, etc...) Otherwise solenoids and clutches tend to get cooked by the constant slipping of different sized tires. I believe nipper even said that just having the tire pressures different can cause significant damage in only a few days. As far as rotating tires, I heard someone say every other oil change, and that sounded reasonable to me.

(This means that unless you really know what you are doing, you need to buy four new tires.)

I speak from personal experience, and a 1000$ repair bill.

Thanks for the input and wisdom

monk50