Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oy ANOTHER PROBLEM? Check Engine?

To the left of the throttle body, there are TWO solinoids identical in appearence. One is closer to the T.B. than the other but both are within 3" of each other. Which one????:confused:

Took a shot at it a choose the closest one to the TB. I did as said above post and still have the "check engine" light on.:confused: Time for more diagnosis

Took a shot at it a choose the closest one to the TB. I did as said above post and still have the "check engine" light on.:confused: Time for more diagnosis

UPDATE: 3 SLOW BLINKS AND 5 FAST BLINKS STILL Purge control solinoid or circuit...................

After reviewing a previous post on solinoid going to canister, I reinstalled the one I had bypassed. Double checked the blink rate and it had'nt changed. OK, now I removed and bypassed the other solinoid. THIS ONE goes to the canister. After bypassing my CHECK ENGINE light went out.:) BUT, dont you like BUTS, But the blink rate when checked is still saying 35 ( 3 slow 5 fast)? I know as far as light being out for check engine I would pass inspection BUT, will I pass emissions if everything else is working? And that solinoid only being bypassed make me fail emissions? I do plan to replace but wonder what I'm pumping out the tailpipe till I do.

If your check engine light is out, you are good to go. With just the ignition in the on position you should be back at the 7 rapid flashes. Are you plugging in any of the connectors when reading the code? You could be reading stored codes and not the current state. I don't see how the purge cannister can affect any emission testing.

-Doug

Engine running , no connectors conected NO Check Engine light , No Blinking light

WHITE connectors conected, key to run position, still 3 slow followed by 5 fast blinks check engine light on

IS there a way to "reset" the stored codes?

There is a way to clear stored codes, but I don't remember it so you'll have to search. I reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery and turning the headlights on for a few minutes to drain any residual charges.

-Doug

If you are trying to clear the 35 error code and the ECU isn't happy with the circuit condition it will still come back in. As soon as the ECU sees the right circuit condition it will stop the error. There is no delay in the reset.

Create one of these to see if there is really a problem with the EGR solenoid:

EGR_Solenoid_Bypass.jpg

You can still use the plug for a Toyota solenoid if you find out the solenoid is the problem. I wouldn't throw money at it until you verify what's wrong first, though. There could be something wrong with the wiring.