Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what's a normal rpm for the 2.2l considered

mine seemed to be rather low, i mean really low, so i gave the lower screw on the throttle body some adjustment and rechecked the TPS.....the code scanner now shows, with the engine fully warm, an idle in park of 800 and in drive with my foot on the brake of about 650.....both are about 200-250 higher now that i tinkered with it (maybe they are supposed to be that low to begin with, but when the idle would surge it would stall, so far so good, hesitation is ANOTHER issue)...but it seems the car drives better with this fashion....anyone know what subaru specifies for these engines??

mine seemed to be rather low, i mean really low, so i gave the lower screw on the throttle body some adjustment and rechecked the TPS.....the code scanner now shows, with the engine fully warm, an idle in park of 800 and in drive with my foot on the brake of about 650.....both are about 200-250 higher now that i tinkered with it (maybe they are supposed to be that low to begin with, but when the idle would surge it would stall, so far so good, hesitation is ANOTHER issue)...but it seems the car drives better with this fashion....anyone know what subaru specifies for these engines??

Mine is about 650 in park or drive and very smooth. Hard to tell for sure the exact rpm on the factory tach though.

Haynes says 600 to 800 in neutral or park, no load and 800 to 900 with the AC on.

Mine is about 650 in park or drive and very smooth. Hard to tell for sure the exact rpm on the factory tach though.

Haynes says 600 to 800 in neutral or park, no load and 800 to 900 with the AC on.

so i should be ok then....thanks!

There is no idle adjustment on the EJ22. It's done entirely with the IAC and ECU. The mechanical adjustment will change the idle but will mask a problem with the IAC which needs cleaning or replacement.

lol...this i know, but it's been keeping my car from sputtering to a stop at idle to give me my driveability back until i do get the problem squared away...