Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mild torque bind and didn't know it?

I bought a used '96 Legacy two years ago at 80k miles and now it has 100k miles. After I got it I noticed that if you cut the wheel sharply from a stop, that at idle it would just kind of stop, you had to give it a little gas to get it going.

I did an Auto-RX flush, no difference, switched to Mobil1 syn ATF no difference, switched to Amsoil syn ATF, no difference.

The last couple weeks, I've been driving her through the hills and dirt roads in Colden, NY and Little Valley, NY, and on some climbs the ATF would reach maybe 210 deg. F. But now, it moves at idle with the steering wheel cut all the way. I thought that was kind of cool.

Any comments? This '96 Legacy seems to work awesome in the snow, whereas the '00 Outback I bought used last year doesn't seem to like to give a whole lot of juice to the rears. --Louis :;

after a flush (NEVER use a chemical flush ion the transmission ever) it takjes a little while for TB to go away, if you dont cut u turns right after the flush.

YOu did the usual fix, if it is gone thats a good thing.

nipper