Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brake and battery warning lights flash

I have a '96 Outback

Yesterday for the first time the dash warning lights for parking brake and battery started flashing simultaneously and regularly. I think they stopped falshing briefly when I coasted some times.

The weather was hot and the car had been parked in the sun. I don't think I had the AC on at the time. My wife said she thought she smelled rubber. When I got home I checked the belts. They didn't seem loose or hot.

I drove it again this morning in the cool. It still happens though less regularly. Seems to happen when I rev the engine and just as it starts to slow back down.

I find no mention of multiple dash lights flashing in the owners' manual.

Any ideas would be greatle appreciate.

thanks / Kozmo

the recent heat is tough on batteries, especially older ones) - but cover the bases.

Carl

thanks to both of you. You confirm my fears. I wanted to verify I shouldn't be driving the car to the airport tomorrow.

oh ... and I assume the heat here (WA) isn't the same as what Lucky Texan means by real heat.

bad alternator, bad bad alternator.

the battery could fail in short order too. i don't know exact statistics but lots of cars i install a new alternator in loose the battery within a year as well (usually much sooner). a failing alternator does bad things to batteries. i'd at least have the battery tested.