Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How much should I expect to pay for a timing belt?:(

don't go buying the timing belt yet. you, yes you; yourself can take a timing belt cover off. three blots (10 m.m.) off. then have some one else turn the key. if the belt moves the cams,it's good. it could be a cam shaft sensor or crank shaft sensor. If ECU does not read/sense either one is turning no gas will flow till the ECU does sense it is turning. no rotation, no gas, period. difference between carb and FI engine controls.

if not turbo motor, most sensors are the same for several years. go to autozone web site. check number for your car and a junkyard motor and you will find which ones are the same as yours (Motor). them use yard/spare part to check if yours works.

but I would first check the timing belt. I have a friend like yours as well. still at times I most double check his work also. I also look for C/B bolts, old trick, leave out a bolt or two out means you are coming back to them. just some thing to look out for. check the timing belt first. this way you know that the motor is turning the cams as well as the crank shaft.

once your sure that the cams and crank are turning, next is checking the sensor's. what they do if I get it correctly is use a magnetic signal, sends a pulse when ever the turning crank or cams passes closely by it. it sends a ground signal to the ECU, telling it the cam/crank is moving. with this signal it opens the fuel injector accordly. that is what I think happened to your car. just a quess, but that is what I believe happened to your car.

you can check so of this yourself and save your friend and yourself some pain when looking for it. good luck and safe driving. Bepa.

My 92 Legacy wagon will not start. My mechanic friend put a new coil pack in and there is still no spark going to it. He told me it could take a while to find the cause, and suggested I ask around so here I am. The engine turns over but there is no gas flow and it wont start. Juat happened out of nowhere. Any ideas of what to look for?

hey sad4subaru, how far are you from nyc, got a little time on sunday. I am working both days this weekend, mid - 8 a.m. in your case if not to far I would make the trip and we can check these things out this weekend. you cover gas and I will haul a** up to you and we could check out what is wrong. also have sensor's on car to check if you need one.

I would use your coil pack on my car. this way we know if they are good. check timing belt then check cam sensor, then crank sensor. if auto zone by you we may even have it running before I leave.

holla back. e-mail or sixfoursixtwothreefiveeightthreefivefive.

My 92 Legacy wagon will not start. My mechanic friend put a new coil pack in and there is still no spark going to it. He told me it could take a while to find the cause, and suggested I ask around so here I am. The engine turns over but there is no gas flow and it wont start. Juat happened out of nowhere. Any ideas of what to look for?

hey sad4subaru, how far are you from nyc, got a little time on sunday. I am working both days this weekend, mid - 8 a.m. in your case if not to far I would make the trip and we can check these things out this weekend. you cover gas and I will haul a** up to you and we could check out what is wrong. also have sensor's on car to check if you need one.

I would use your coil pack on my car. this way we know if they are good. check timing belt then check cam sensor, then crank sensor. if auto zone by you we may even have it running before I leave.

holla back. e-mail or sixfoursixtwothreefiveeightthreefivefive.

don't go buying the timing belt yet. you, yes you; yourself can take a timing belt cover off. three blots (10 m.m.) off. then have some one else turn the key. if the belt moves the cams,it's good. it could be a cam shaft sensor or crank shaft sensor. If ECU does not read/sense either one is turning no gas will flow till the ECU does sense it is turning. no rotation, no gas, period. difference between carb and FI engine controls.

i

Just seeing if the belt moves does not mean it hasnt jumped time. "broke" is a generic term for a slipped timing belt, since if it has slipped it needs to be replaced. The timing marks have to be checked to make sure everything is still in time.

nipper