Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help The lights have a mind of their own!

I just got home from a friends house and I pull in where my 1993 Subaru Imreza Wagon is parked and the tail lights are on! There are no keys in the ignition, the headlights are turned off, and no doors are left open but the tail lights are still on. I tried turning the car on for a minute to see if that would fix this but the car started right up and when I turned the car off, the tail lights are still on!

Help!

I don't really know what to do , except leave them on over night and let the battery die and then jump it tomorrow.

Any help would be great!

Thanks

when u hit the brake does it get brighter?

Yes, the brake lights come on when I hit the breaks, and when I take the breaks off the tail lights are still on. When I turn the headlights on the tail lights stay the same and when I turn them off the tail lights are still on.

OK I am an idiot! The lights are off. I was playing with that stupid switch on top of my steering column today while waiting at a red light............wow! I am glad we are talking over the internet otherwise I would be extremely embarrased!!!!

Thanks for all of your help huys:banghead: :drunk::burnout:

DOH!

<---Self proclaimed Idiot!

That is called the Subaru Virgin Switch. You are no longer a Subaru Virgin.

(was it good for you? :D )

The actual purpose to that switch is to allow you to leave marker lights on when parked on the side of a narrow street (this is a safety requirement in Europe) even though the headlights turn off with the ignition switch. The alternative is to allow the headlights to stay on when the ignition is off, which would badly drain the battery in short order. This switch has been a feature of Subarus for decades, and I doubt that it will ever go away.

That is called the Subaru Virgin Switch. You are no longer a Subaru Virgin.

(was it good for you? :D )

The actual purpose to that switch is to allow you to leave marker lights on when parked on the side of a narrow street (this is a safety requirement in Europe) even though the headlights turn off with the ignition switch. The alternative is to allow the headlights to stay on when the ignition is off, which would badly drain the battery in short order. This switch has been a feature of Subarus for decades, and I doubt that it will ever go away.

NO it was not good for me!!! I was freaking out thinking my car was dying! but as it turns out I am just an idiot!:clap:

My question is why do they not put some kind of indicator light on the dashboard to show the parking light switch is turned on? That would make too much sense. The top of the steering column is an inconspicuous place to put the switch in the first place since it's not readily visible. Also, the rocker style swich doesn't easily read as being turned "on" or "off." This is really a minor issue but something Subaru needs to address.

wow we killed two subaru virgins with one post :).

i often wondered why they do that, it must be some european regulation, as porshe vw and some others dont have an indictaor lite either.

nipper

damn Europeans! :lol:

damn Europeans! :lol:

Actually the early 911/912s at least up through the 911SC models have an indicator light in the bottom of either the speedo or tach that indicates you have pulled the light switch to the first "notch" position and the parking lights are on. Certain models you could just set the turn signal lever to either right or left and only the right or left parking lights would be lit.

Actually the early 911/912s at least up through the 911SC models have an indicator light in the bottom of either the speedo or tach that indicates you have pulled the light switch to the first "notch" position and the parking lights are on. Certain models you could just set the turn signal lever to either right or left and only the right or left parking lights would be lit.

My problem wasn't with the lever where the turn signal is, it was with the damn switch on top of the steering cloumn. It is hard tell whether the switch is in the on or off position. Still my fault, but confusing.

Are all Subarus wired so the lights turn off when the car is off?

My problem wasn't with the lever where the turn signal is, it was with the damn switch on top of the steering cloumn. It is hard tell whether the switch is in the on or off position. Still my fault, but confusing.

Are all Subarus wired so the lights turn off when the car is off?

yes, thats why alot of us feel we dont need no stinkin daytime running lights, we've had them for over 20 years :)

nipper

Interesting (and timely) thread! I just pulled into the driveway from a weekend away and, low and behold, the parking lights would not go out (2002 Outback wagon). Couldn't find the owners manual, and never even knew the switch on top of the steering column was there. Must have gotten bumped by one of the dogs or my grandson. Tried this forum and BAM!, there was the answer, right in front of me. Damn fine library system down there in Mississippi, a97obw.