Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have 2 kids, would an Outback work for me?

I am getting tired of the problems with my 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan. It is a nice ride, very roomy, but not reliable enough for me. I am having problems with the electronics, and have more rust than I should. I want to get rid of it and get another Subaru for my family.

Does anyone with kids drive an Outback Wagon? Is there enough room for little tots and cargo room for trips, etc? Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Matt D

I have a 7 year old monkey we pack into the back of our Outback Wagon, and with luggage and food in the back, we still have room for another passenger in the back seat. It seems to me that wagons of this size work well for families like yours. I guess it also depends on how much you pack for trips. ;) You could always get one of those roof cargo thingies if you need extra space for extended trips.

Yup and my parents bought a legacy for me when i was like 3 years old and we went on very long trips and we had so much extra space, and we went to florida texas, california all the way from Canada. Good car not once needed a tow truck. And a outback should be perfect for you.

We have an 06 Outback and have 2 kids ages 11 and 7. If you are traveling light, the Outback should serve you fine. If you are used to fililng up the Caravan when traveling, then you may have problems. We have a Honda Odyssey that we use for long trips, where we take a lot of stuff with us. The Outback cannot pack anywhere near as much as that Odyssey with the rear seats folded under. I know we are comparing apples to oranges, but if you are used to the carrying capacity of the Caravan, you may be in for a shocker with the Outback. We did not buy the Outback to replace the Odyssey. We would have to seriously change the way we travel to make that happen. Now if Subaru made a minivan, we'd get rid of the Honda in a heartbeat!

I have 2 kids in booster seats and we travel a lot in my Legacy wagon. It does fine. I agree with the above post though. If you are used to the barn like space of a Grand Caravan , you might not be happy. The Outback is simular in interior room to mid sized SUV's (like our Grand Cherokee) but it's not even close to a long wheelbase minivan.

I have two kids, 4 and 1.5... both in car seats in my '97 OBW. I am pretty tall, 6'3" - so the kids readily kick the back of the seat, but other than that... plenty of room for me, wife, kid #1, kid #2, large cooler and camping gear or the great dane

I second the above posts. If you're used to the space of the minivan, a Subaru wagon is going to feel very cramped on a long trip. It's also not as easy to load the kids (often with toy(s) grasped firmly in hand) in and out the swinging doors as compared with the large sliding doors of the minivan, and it's nearly impossible to climb from the front into the back to unhook or tend to the kids on a rainy day. You won't have room for any other passengers (mothers-in-law, etc.) with two car seats in the back. Take the car seats (and kids, ideally) along with you when you look at the Outback, and see how the space looks. That said, two kids certainly will fit in an Outback. It may not be as convenient as the minivan, but certainly should be no less convenient than most midsize SUV's. Look at the Toyota Sienna and the Honda Odyssey as more reliable minivans. I find minivans are the ideal vehicle for small children primarily because of the easy access which SUV's and wagons can't match. The Outback makes a great companion car to a minivan, but for me, a minivan is still the first choice with young kids.

I'm not sure if they have rental Outbacks down there, I just rented one in Portland Oregon. If you can rent one for a few days that is absolutly the best way to see if a car works for you.

After renting Subarus and driving my BIL's cars in Kiwi I was convinced one would work for me. After 60,000 miles or so the car is still a good choice.

I'm not sure if they have rental Outbacks down there, I just rented one in Portland Oregon. If you can rent one for a few days that is absolutly the best way to see if a car works for you.

didn't or doesn't subaru dealers offer the "try it for 24hrs" thing? you can drive it for 24hrs before making a decision? or am i wrong?

granted i don't have any kids but i think an outback would have prenty of room...

there's no "universal" guide as to whether or not an outback would suit your needs. I know folks that drive a corolla as their family car. I'm not dogging the corolla, it's just not a typical family cruiser. so really only you know if an outback will work out for you.

but I have a feeling coming from a minivan, you'll hate the smaller size of an outback. I have 2 kids (1 and 3) and whenever we go on trips, we rent a minivan. after just 1 trip in a minivan, I can't imagine not having one for trips. For everyday driving, it really doesn't make a difference.

Plenty of space for my 2 and 5 year olds. It's DEFINITELY got more back seat room than a Forester, though. Ignore whoever said that the Forester is a good family car.

Ya but keep in mind that the forester is alot shorter then the outback!

Ignore whoever said that the Forester is a good family car.

I now have a 5yr old and a 9yr old. We have a Forester for our daily driver, and it has loads of room for us, even for longer trips (a week or so) and camping (with a Yakima box).

So, no, don't ignore "whoever said that a Forester is a good family car".

Ya but keep in mind that the forester is alot long then the outback!

The Forester is definitely smaller in every dimension than the Outback save the height. Check the specs. The Forester might have slightly taller doors than the Outback that could make it easier to lean in and out to fasten the kids into their seats.

I agree that there is no one family car, but coming from a minivan, an Outback is a major downsizing.

Ya but keep in mind that the forester is alot long then the outback!

The Forester is definitely smaller in every dimension than the Outback save the height. Check the specs. The Forester might have slightly taller doors than the Outback that could make it easier to lean in and out to fasten the kids into their seats.

I agree that there is no one family car, but coming from a minivan, an Outback is a major downsizing.

Well i heard something about subaru coming out with a minivan sometime.

This is what it says on motor trend

2008 Subaru Minivan: All-new vehicle based on the Legacy platform. Lessons learned from the failed J-market Traviq minivan ensure this N.A. product will stick to both market norms and remain true to Subaru brand values, including a boxer engine and AWD.

Forester = On Impreza Platform

Outback = On Legacy Platform

Not seeing how the Forester is bigger than the Outback except in height.

OMG thanks for pointing that out i mean shorter shorter than the outback typo!!(brain typo)

OMG thanks for pointing that out i mean shorter shorter than the outback typo!!(brain typo)
It happens :)

I think we all agree in consensus: If you're used to having a minivan, you're not going to like the Outback or Forester because it's definitely a downsize. However, if you're willing to deal with that and maybe downsize your stuff as well, you'll be all right with an Outback.

Just FYI, my parents put both my brother and I at small ages in an 86 GL sedan and had no problems toting us and our stuff around.

I have seen two complaints on Foresters here from folks who bought the car and then realized that there is little back seat foot room.

In most of the world folks don't think they need to drive a living room. My family in Kiwi has raised two kids just fine in Legacy wagons. Jed has occasionlly made use of the roof rack on trips I've noticed. Now that the kids are out of cars seats they still have one Legacy wagon on thier farm I think.

Thanks for all the replies. I am still trying to decide what to do. My Caravan is in the shop, waiting for a diagnosis.

The speedometer failed, and my code reader will no longer connect with the ECU. After a day or two, my wife was driving it and all of a sudden, it wouldn't go. Eventually she got it home, but won't drive it anymore, obviously..

I checked the wiring connections and the speed sensor, and all is well. The Caravan has an ECU, TCU, and BCM (body control module) Three computers that could be at fault, and unfortunately, without Chrysler diagnostic equipment, no way to test them....

I fear one of the computers is bad, which will be an expensive repair. The strut towers are starting to rust, the A/C is working poorly... And I still owe about as much as it would be worth in good condition...

I am considering Toyota or Honda minivans, or an Outback.. I like being able to move stuff around in the minivan, boxes, appliances, etc...

Matt

I suggest u buy a toyota just for awd my friend had a 2000 chyrsler loaded to the roof. His minivan in less than 3 years had everything fail power windows loacks radio didnt work engine barely started and he maintained it. Now he bought a loaded AWD toyota sienna and it is a nice van. And u can trust a toyota atleast, but the outback well. It might be ok, How about the Triebeca(little ugly).