Ultimate Subaru Message Board

K&N Filter cleaning problem, my STUPID!

Hi ALL!

Well I TRIED cleaning my K&N Panel Filter for my 2.5 GT DOHC. I haven't cleaned it since it was new 3 years ago! So I yanked filter, tapped it, got large stuff off, then I took a painting brush to it for the rest. I read the instructions over and over. So I soaked it with THERE cleaning fluid. I let set for about 20 minutes like the instructions state. I rinced it in tap water. I started doing this last eve.. I knew I wasn't going to go anywhere with the car, so the filter could AIR dry overnight on my back enclosed porch, always hot out there, it sat overniht on a shop towel. I picked it up his am, felt dry to me! So I then started putting THERE oil on it with the squeeze bottle. I did that, let it rest for 20 mins, then touched it up! So I started working on other things on my car, more intense headlight bulbs, change oil, reglue body trim. I cleaned out the air box. So then I picked up panel filter......water came ozing out of it! All the time I was cleaning it I had it flat, so NOT to confuse the top with the bottom. I never tilted it! SOoooooooooo now I have it out in the sun, standing on end with water oozing out of it! YA......oil and water don't mix!! SO! IS filter harmed?? IF I install filter with some trace of water WILL it harm MAF, engine???? HELP!?? ME STUPID!!!

Thanks, Subeeted!!

Hi ALL!

Well I TRIED cleaning my K&N Panel Filter for my 2.5 GT DOHC. I haven't cleaned it since it was new 3 years ago! So I yanked filter, tapped it, got large stuff off, then I took a painting brush to it for the rest. I read the instructions over and over. So I soaked it with THERE cleaning fluid. I let set for about 20 minutes like the instructions state. I rinced it in tap water. I started doing this last eve.. I knew I wasn't going to go anywhere with the car, so the filter could AIR dry overnight on my back enclosed porch, always hot out there, it sat overniht on a shop towel. I picked it up his am, felt dry to me! So I then started putting THERE oil on it with the squeeze bottle. I did that, let it rest for 20 mins, then touched it up! So I started working on other things on my car, more intense headlight bulbs, change oil, reglue body trim. I cleaned out the air box. So then I picked up panel filter......water came ozing out of it! All the time I was cleaning it I had it flat, so NOT to confuse the top with the bottom. I never tilted it! SOoooooooooo now I have it out in the sun, standing on end with water oozing out of it! YA......oil and water don't mix!! SO! IS filter harmed?? IF I install filter with some trace of water WILL it harm MAF, engine???? HELP!?? ME STUPID!!!

Thanks, Subeeted!!

I used the Fram version of this free flow filter; at any rate, I wouldn't think it would hurt the filter to (quickly) run compressed air over it, this should force out any remaining water.

Good Luck

John

Compressed air= bad!

I always let mine dry in such a way that they have good airflow top and bottom (ie: set it on edge). If you let them sit flat, the water will settle to the bottom, and the top will appear dry.

If you put it in the car damp, the cotton can get sucked through the mesh, leaving holes in the filter.

If you had an extra air filter box from a J/Y car, you could rig something up with a computer fan (80mm or 120mm) to blow air though the filter overnight (low pressure!) and dry it out good that way.

I wouldn't worry about it. You did everything you could. I really doubt your filter's damaged. Let it sit out for a while and let the remaining water dry up. After it's dry again, you may need to add a little oil to the areas that may have taken up a bunch of water instead of oil.

Theres a lifetime guarantee on those filters anyway.

Hi all!

Well I let it sit out in the sun on it's edge. It was hot and dry (for a change) here in MAss. There was also a slight breeze. I let it sit out for a few hours, till the water stopped oozing. Then a little bit more! I took a look at the filter, it looked great, nice red oil evenly applied everywhere!

Thanks evryone! Now I have to get the top half to the air box because I broke those STUPID tabs on the bottom when I took the filter out! I forgot about them!!!

C YA ALL, SubeeTed