Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Totalled '99 2.2l Brighton wagon - rats!

Someone pulled out in front of my daughter, she's unharmed, but the Brighton wagon is totalled. She's been to the chiropractor, lots of soreness she didn't realize, but fine. The wagon was minimally damaged: hood, fender, radiator, headlight, some internal framing is pushed in. It's not worth much, so they're thinking totalled (~$6000). I just did the timing belt, it was a great car. USAA makes it very expensive to keep a total, so I'll have to let it go. I'm looking at cars, not excited about another Subie because I don't trust the 2.5l. Maybe I can find another 2.2l or 3.0l at a reasonable price. This car will be her college car initially, then for my son who turns 16 next fall. The Brighton was perfect for them, oh well:-\

I might put a note in the glovebox to whoever buys the wreckage to contact me, I'd fix it up and drive it for about $1000. I know my brother will want the engine for his Vanagon, I'll see what USAA will do.

not very many of us have a lot of experience dealinf with insurance companies. that being said, my neighbor's chrysler 300 was run into by a little old lady. he took it upon himself to find an identical replacement car, make, model, year, miles, color, and options. he then told the insurance co. that this was the value of his car.

of course they said it wasn't their job to replace his car... he agreed, but he showed them an equal ( or better) car for sale to "prove" the value of his car.

so... don't take their first offer. make them work for it. you only get one chance. once you take thje check, you're done. you should do their homework for them. regardless if you buy back the car, you should have the money to start over.

just my $.02 worth.

Someone pulled out in front of my daughter, she's unharmed, but the Brighton wagon is totalled. She's been to the chiropractor, lots of soreness she didn't realize, but fine. The wagon was minimally damaged: hood, fender, radiator, headlight, some internal framing is pushed in. It's not worth much, so they're thinking totalled (~$6000). I just did the timing belt, it was a great car. USAA makes it very expensive to keep a total, so I'll have to let it go. I'm looking at cars, not excited about another Subie because I don't trust the 2.5l. Maybe I can find another 2.2l or 3.0l at a reasonable price. This car will be her college car initially, then for my son who turns 16 next fall. The Brighton was perfect for them, oh well:-\

I might put a note in the glovebox to whoever buys the wreckage to contact me, I'd fix it up and drive it for about $1000. I know my brother will want the engine for his Vanagon, I'll see what USAA will do.

I've totalled quite a few cars (mostly hitting deer), and my wife has worked in insurance for decades, they always fold when she starts in on them :D . I've wanted to keep each car, and it always cost too much. I think they want 60% of what we agreed it was worth. They don't like having totalled cars kept by the insured, I've heard a few reasons why, but I'm not really sure. They'll never get 10% at auction.