Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So,long story short got my clutch replaced and then a few days after getting it back my coolant reservoir mysteriously falls off while I'm driving and now I'm the proud owner of a 2.2 l fused peice of aluminum.

My question since I'll be replacing the engine anyway is how easily will a 2.5 go in to the car in place of the stock 2.2?,is there any modification involved or anything like that? And also,will it work with my 5 spd manual transmission without troubles?

I'm not sure if this what you're saying, but are you saying the coolant overflow tank fell off and you ended up with a siezed engine?

Not sure about the engine swap, but from what I've seen in other posts, the 2.2L is pretty bulletproof, whereas the 2.5L not so much.

Well, it will bolt right in. It will bolt to your transmission and it will bolt to your engine cross member. Now, wiring may be a little bit more of a hassle, but it could be done.

I'd find an EJ22T and transplant that in instead :headbang:

Does anyone know what the wiring differences might be? And I'd love to find a ej22t for it,but fo one thing I need to replace the engine asap and I've got no idea where to even begin looking for one and for another thing that's probably more expensive than I'm able to afford right now.

Does anyone know what the wiring differences might be? And I'd love to find a ej22t for it,but fo one thing I need to replace the engine asap and I've got no idea where to even begin looking for one and for another thing that's probably more expensive than I'm able to afford right now.
Stick with a normal 2.2, you have the best combo of engine and tranny ever offered in an outback. Putting in an ej22t would cost lots and you would have to convert from your obdII to an obdI, this would be a huge job.

Try EBAY or search under JDM engines, you'll get tons of websites. I just bought my EJ25 from these guys: http://www.tigerjapanese.com/index.php?cPath=47

I am going to take the shrink wrap off and lift it onto my workbench tonight but it looks like it came with the alternator, ps pump and ac compressor as well so I now have spares. Once on the workbench I will be swapping the headgaskets with the new design ones and resealing it up before the install. You should just be able to drill and tap for the EGR valve if the JDM engine doesn't have one and install a 2.2 without swapping any gaskets. I dealt with Mike at TigerJapanese.

If you go with a 2.2 > 2.5 replacement make sure you get a 96 2.5. The 95 and 97 and later had an EGR system our 96 2.2s do not.

There are two 2.2 for $300 at this place:

http://www.allforeignautoparts.com/

They are over in Pittsburg. I have used them before. Top notch peeps. Thats about what 90 miles from Altona? If you want to do a Sunday drive and get all dirty there are U-Pull-its around Reading/Allentown and yank your own for $75 but that is 3 hours away.

If it was my car, I would stick with a 2.2 but then thats me,

Greg

Thanks for the site and info,although I think for the price difference involved I'd rather go for a JDm low milage engine...both listed for $300 are 130k+ miles vs. 25-60k.

I know the mileage doesn't mean everything as the old 2.2 ran strong at 199k miles,although it consumed a good deal of oil,but I figure a lower mileage motor should last me unti the car falls apart which is as long as I intend to keep it. :D

I almost don't have a preference of which I get,but a 2.5 actuallyhas some things available for it where the 2.2 apparantly doesn't and I'd like a little more power at some point in the future.

It also seemed to me that the 2.2's might be harder to find as they seem to be more in demand and less produced than 2.5's.

although everyone agrees if you swap a trans from a diff type subaru you need the dffferential as well, no one knows exactly what the differences are. i wonder what a 2.5 motor on a 2.2 trans / diff. will drive like.????

my guess is that the outback is geared lower, and legacy higher. putting a more powerful engine in a higher geared car could make for something interesting!!!

are the diffs different??

If you go with a 2.2 > 2.5 replacement make sure you get a 96 2.5. The 95 and 97 and later had an EGR system our 96 2.2s do not.

There are two 2.2 for $300 at this place:

http://www.allforeignautoparts.com/

They are over in Pittsburg. I have used them before. Top notch peeps. Thats about what 90 miles from Altona? If you want to do a Sunday drive and get all dirty there are U-Pull-its around Reading/Allentown and yank your own for $75 but that is 3 hours away.

If it was my car, I would stick with a 2.2 but then thats me,

Greg