Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 97 Subaru 2.2 quit on the road today, I pulled the fuel line off at the filter and it is getting no fuel, also their is no clicking from pump when I turn the key on. I plan to buy fuel pump tomorrow but is their a relay I should check first? I did not see anything for fuel pump in the fuse box under hood or in the one by the kick panel, anyone know if their is a relay for this?

sheesh i should be in the part business, the way people replace parts without proper testing...

not only is there a fuse, but there is also a relay. Usually the relay has gone bad.

Get yourself a haynes manual. Subaru fuel pumps are extreemly reliable and thats the last thing i would suspect. i bet you dont even have power going to the pump.

nipper

Its worse than that, I paid 79.00 dollars for a wrecker to bring my car home (around 12 miles) without checking to see if Auto Zone had a fuel pump in stock, whats worse was my wife was telling me to call them which I did but coundn't get through so I didnt try again. After getting home I checked and they had one in stock and also O'Reily had one in stock.

Now Nipper, you know I have a Haynes manual, but I thought someone here whould tell me where this fuse and relay is so I would not have to go out to hot shop and look something up. Also it never hurts me to buy unneeded parts as you know I have two Subaru 2.2 that I use on my high mileage job so it is only a matter of time until they are needed. This Subaru has 320,000 miles and has already went through the fuel pump that was on it plus one more if this one is indeed bad.

sheesh i should be in the part business, the way people replace parts without proper testing...

not only is there a fuse, but there is also a relay. Usually the relay has gone bad.

Get yourself a haynes manual. Subaru fuel pumps are extreemly reliable and thats the last thing i would suspect. i bet you dont even have power going to the pump.

nipper

I still bet it is the fuel pump, I dont remember ever having to replace a relay in anything and I have been driving since the 60's. But if you insist I will test that first, I can take the one out of the other Subaru and try it, if I can find it, it did not show fuel pump relay or fuse on the cover of the box under the hood or the one in the kick panel.

go to the haynes manual in the electrical section they will show you where the relay is.

Also the fuse operates the relay, as the pump circuit is always hot. Check the fusebox under the hood.

nipper

and ive been driving cars with electric fuel pumps since 1978 and never replaced a pump, but have relays.... two in differnet subarus and one in a honda

once again look in the manual. Test the pump for opens, test for power at the pump. If there is no signal from the electronic ignition, the fuel pump will only operate for a few seconds. The ecu also controls the fuel pump. (see its not that simple) This is not a hard thing to do, but if you want to buy a pump and replace it without even properly diagnosing the circuit, i know some mechanics that would love to have your business.:brow:

page 12-4 fuel punp relay location

page 12-27 wiring diagram

Haynes says its fuse 16 in the box under the dash, not sure how that correlates to reality.

nipper

Thanks I will check it tomorrow.

and ive been driving cars with electric fuel pumps since 1978 and never replaced a pump, but have relays.... two in differnet subarus and one in a honda

once again look in the manual. Test the pump for opens, test for power at the pump. If there is no signal from the electronic ignition, the fuel pump will only operate for a few seconds. The ecu also controls the fuel pump. (see its not that simple) This is not a hard thing to do, but if you want to buy a pump and replace it without even properly diagnosing the circuit, i know some mechanics that would love to have your business.:brow:

Haynes says its fuse 16 in the box under the dash, not sure how that correlates to reality.

nipper

O.K. Nipper I checked and had current at the connector that plugs into fuel pump. Then I replaced pump with one from O'reillys and it starts and runs fine. It is not the best way to fix it, to much to change out, I had to change the lead wires to the pump and the seating pad where the pumps sets on the metal bracket. Much more easy to get pump assembly from wrecking yard and change the whole thing.

nipper

But if you get a wrecking yard pump you might soon have the same problem. On my last Mercedes I went through three pumps and one relay in over 300,000 miles so you aren't doing too bad TC. I think the last pump only had a year and maybe 20,000 miles on it when i sold the car. At 128,000 on my Forester I have not had to replace pump or relay so it is doing OK.

I think I had about 130,000 miles on my Chevy S10 when that electric pump went (messy job, you have to drop the tank) so I would think I may need a Subaru pump in the next couple of years, but who knows, I might get lucky.

This is my third pump also, but as you know it's not much troble to change these thanks to just taking the cover off and not having to drop the tank. What were you doing to get get 300,000 miles on a Mercedes? It has took me ten years of mail dev. to get 320,000 miles on mine.

But if you get a wrecking yard pump you might soon have the same problem. On my last Mercedes I went through three pumps and one relay in over 300,000 miles so you aren't doing too bad TC. I think the last pump only had a year and maybe 20,000 miles on it when i sold the car. At 128,000 on my Forester I have not had to replace pump or relay so it is doing OK.

I think I had about 130,000 miles on my Chevy S10 when that electric pump went (messy job, you have to drop the tank) so I would think I may need a Subaru pump in the next couple of years, but who knows, I might get lucky.

I drove that sucker to work and then ran a route around the airport where I picked up customs entry papers twice a day. That car had more time at SFO than the average 747.

It was a lot of stop and go like yours too, some stops would be 200 yards and some half a mile. I can't believe I never changed a starter on that car .

I had it 17 years when I sold it. The pump was easy on that too as it was located outside the tank under the car.

I'd hate to even think how many sets of brakes I must have had on it.

That sounds like an interesting job, I bet it would be a real pain doing that today with all of the security measures in place. Those conditions sound like what I work under brakes about three times a year. I also have been luckly on the starter so far same one. (knock on wood)

I drove that sucker to work and then ran a route around the airport where I picked up customs entry papers twice a day. That car had more time at SFO than the average 747.

It was a lot of stop and go like yours too, some stops would be 200 yards and some half a mile. I can't believe I never changed a starter on that car .

I had it 17 years when I sold it. The pump was easy on that too as it was located outside the tank under the car.

I'd hate to even think how many sets of brakes I must have had on it.

I can understand your starter working but not that one. When I learned to drive it was on my uncle's mail route from Greenville Maine to Rockwood. I thin it was about 20 miles. We started the car in Greenville and it ran until the PO in Rockwood. I often waited fro paperwork and had to run into buildings so I shut it off at every stop. Of course the 190 E was a taxi in a lot of the world so it used a number of heavy duty bits and the starter mush have been one if it lasted 17 years.