Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quick Stereo question

Hello all, had a quick stereo question. Car is an 87' GL-10 Sedan with the Trip Computer. I got my new Alpine CD player from Crutchfield audio so it came with all the bits and bobs to put it in. My question is, as I am wiring it, it came with an adapter harness for the Subaru. Should I link up the "ground" wire that comes from the Alpine to the "ground" on the matchin Subaru harness or just ground it myself? Also, I am alittle confused on the last part about splicing in the yello uninterrupted 12v wire? Where is the best place to do it? I read about direct connect to battery but I also read about the ignition so it will turn on when the car starts, like a stock radio head. Also I wont be able to use the rear speakers until I rewire them or is ther any other way? Any help/info/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

*note* I ask this after searching around here for quite a bit of time and realized there was no info that went this far...

I don't have a lot to pass on right now except: The uninterrupted-12v wire needs to be just that. You do not want it to be a switched power source (like switched at the ignition switch) because it is what maintains station presets and other remembered settings. There should already be an uninterrupted power line for the stock radio. The switched-power is the one that will allow the stereo to come on like a stock stereo.

Hello all, had a quick stereo question. Car is an 87' GL-10 Sedan with the Trip Computer. I got my new Alpine CD player from Crutchfield audio so it came with all the bits and bobs to put it in. My question is, as I am wiring it, it came with an adapter harness for the Subaru. Should I link up the "ground" wire that comes from the Alpine to the "ground" on the matchin Subaru harness or just ground it myself? Also, I am alittle confused on the last part about splicing in the yello uninterrupted 12v wire? Where is the best place to do it? I read about direct connect to battery but I also read about the ignition so it will turn on when the car starts, like a stock radio head. Also I wont be able to use the rear speakers until I rewire them or is ther any other way? Any help/info/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

*note* I ask this after searching around here for quite a bit of time and realized there was no info that went this far...

OK as far as the ground wire attach it to the wire harness (Subaru had the stock one that way for a reason...the reason I'm not sure but thats what they intended.) on the harness that plugs into the Subaru there should be a wire that says "constant" or "12volt" and should be yellow or yellow with a white stripe. splice your uninterrupted into that. I'm slightly confused with your back speaker situation. are the rear speakers in the stock position with stock wiring? if so the harness you got with the radio should have rear channel wires. just splice the radio to the harness that indicate the rear channels and WA LA! plug the harness into the plug that the stock radio was in and its time for tunes!:headbang: samo is a good one to talk to about stereos but i have not seen him around for a while........TRATOR!!!...just kidding.:brow:

i found on the subarus when you put a cd player in and want it to sound good you need to A:run new speaker wires B: run a wire from the yellow wire on the radio to the battery C:the red wire on the cd player to your acc on the ignition there is a wire in the cluster of wires take your time and do it right you will be lot happer if you do how i said and you might want to put new speakers in

dennis

OK as far as the ground wire attach it to the wire harness (Subaru had the stock one that way for a reason...the reason I'm not sure but thats what they intended.) on the harness that plugs into the Subaru there should be a wire that says "constant" or "12volt" and should be yellow or yellow with a white stripe. splice your uninterrupted into that. I'm slightly confused with your back speaker situation. are the rear speakers in the stock position with stock wiring? if so the harness you got with the radio should have rear channel wires. just splice the radio to the harness that indicate the rear channels and WA LA! plug the harness into the plug that the stock radio was in and its time for tunes!:headbang: samo is a good one to talk to about stereos but i have not seen him around for a while........TRATOR!!!...just kidding.:brow:

sounds not too tough. I was mainly confused on the yellow wire so Ill try your suggestion when i get back home from work. The reason I was talking about the rear speakers is because I've heard that the wires run before are too weak or sumthing? Any one can fill me in on this?

sounds not too tough. I was mainly confused on the yellow wire so Ill try your suggestion when i get back home from work. The reason I was talking about the rear speakers is because I've heard that the wires run before are too weak or sumthing? Any one can fill me in on this?

unless your building a competition set up the stock wires should be just fine.

hmm sounds like alot of good replies. Looks like ill be trying the way Dennis explained ans that would be a good setup I think, although SubaruJunkies idea sounds good also. Ill have to see whats up tonight if I have enough sunlight afterwork :clap:

*note* what wires do people recommend to run to the battery and all? Price per place recommendations? Sorry, new to it all...

BTW i have found it helpful to twist the two joining wires together and pinch them in the same side of the connector. that way if you make a mistake you can cut of the wrong wire and splice the correct one in the other side. like this...[ATTACH]4100[/ATTACH]

BTW i have found it helpful to twist the two joining wires together and pinch them in the same side of the connector. that way if you make a mistake you can cut of the wrong wire and splice the correct one in the other side. like this...[ATTACH]4100[/ATTACH]

yeah ive spliced them rpetty good so just incase I can take em apart again, thanks for the heads up :D

the stock speakers in the soobs are wired in with a common ground system

eg; the front and rear on the same side share the same wire for ground

most new cd players cant handle this and you will need to at least run new speaker wire for the front OR rear

but you might as well rewire them all with some good quality speaker wire

most cd players need a good 12 volt power which is the yellow wire also there is a fuse on the back of the stereo but it wont heart to put a inline fuse the stereo runs off the line from the battery now the red wire tells the stereo when to turn on and off

just wondering are you going to run a amp and sub?

most cd players need a good 12 volt power which is the yellow wire also there is a fuse on the back of the stereo but it wont heart to put a inline fuse the stereo runs off the line from the battery now the red wire tells the stereo when to turn on and off

just wondering are you going to run a amp and sub?

mm im planning to runn a self powered sub that can fit under my seat. i dont want super bass, just enough to fill in cleanly and Ill most likely redo all 4 speakers with some decent infinity's. Question is, can I run music to all 4 stock speakers until I get the replacements or no?