Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.2 water pump bearing play-timing belt service

I am doing a timing belt service on my 95 outback [220k miles] with all used parts cherry picked from wrecks at my local Tear-A-Part. I realize some of you probably think this isn't too bright, but it works for me as long as I'm careful. I've found older Legacys that obviously had extensive recent service before giving up the ghost.

I have a new looking water pump with a tighter bearing than my other pumps, and wonder if I should try to use it, maybe loosen it up with some "water pump lubricant"? Any input appreciated from this new user in SLC.

I am doing a timing belt service on my 95 outback [220k miles] with all used parts cherry picked from wrecks at my local Tear-A-Part. I realize some of you probably think this isn't too bright, but it works for me as long as I'm careful. I've found older Legacys that obviously had extensive recent service before giving up the ghost.

I have a new looking water pump with a tighter bearing than my other pumps, and wonder if I should try to use it, maybe loosen it up with some "water pump lubricant"? Any input appreciated from this new user in SLC.

OK--no infinite wisdom available on this one, I'll go with the newer one, tight is right.

I use parts from the wrecking yard a lot if the motor is non interference which yours is I see nothing wrong with it. Plus you get to stay in practice taking it apart which is the best part of it.

*shudder*

bearing should be tight. i am almost afraid to ask what waterpump lubricant is, besides fresh antifreeze....

nipper

*shudder*

bearing should be tight. i am almost afraid to ask what waterpump lubricant is, besides fresh antifreeze....

nipper

right, nipper, don't always think before I speak...And :-\ :grin: with such wisdom as yours available here I don't want to waste your time! Thanks.

right, nipper, don't always think before I speak...And :-\ :grin: with such wisdom as yours available here I don't want to waste your time! Thanks.

aww shux, dont make me blush... besides im easily amused, and amazed at what the sell in poor excuses for auto part stores... thought i missed a new product :rolleyes:

nipper