Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I searched, EA81 CLUTCH clarification

Hello All,

I have an 82 Brat with the 1982 trans' lower geared 3rd and 4th gears which I want to keep. I also have the smaller 200mm clutch. I read I can bolt in the larger 225mm flywheel and then use the bigger PP and clutch. What is it about the throw out bearing - and does all this work with the 1982 trans? I read the input shaft on the 1982 transmission is smaller? Do I use the old throw out bearing or new one - or what else?

thank you, r/ PK.

No changes to the input shaft or throwout bearing are needed. I have an 82 trans in my lifted 84 actually. All you need is the flywheel, and an 84 4WD clutch disc and pressure plate. All the EA81 transmissions have the same input shaft - even the 2WD (and EA82 2WD's too - same trans). I actually pieced mine together using an 84 flywheel from the junk yard, and an 84 clutch setup I got from a friend....

Apparently, if you use the release bearing from a mid 80's or early 90's nissan pickup, you can also fit the EA82 flywheel and pressure plate (or XT6 :brow:) and use the EA81 225mm disc...

GD

the 84 trans with the larger clutch/PP/flywheel, came with a slightly different bearing holder to fit the larger release bearing....

it will work with the smaller release bearing like GD said, but it the bearfing hits on the very tip of the pp fingers instead of about a quarter inch in.... so will wear differently....

• 10 years later...

I have been searching for an answer to my clutch issue, and I have finally run across someone mentioning a little of what I'm going through.

Mcbrat, you said the smaller release bearing will work on the larger '84 clutch pressure plate? I have that kit with the larger bearing, but I have not been able to find the holder for it, and the previous owner of my car threw away any old clutch parts, so I am quite lost. I did manage to source a bearing holder to fit my input shaft and fork, but it holds the smaller bearing. Any help would be greatly appreciated! And I'm sorry to hijack this thread. I have just been having so much trouble here.

Edited by bmx_huckstar

Dude, that thread is 10 years old.

I recently tried to order a throwout bearing from Soob dealer. They were not available. If I were you, I would start a new thread for specific information.

Yeah, I figured it was worth a shot to ask though. I made a thread for my problem and I think I have it resolved.

What bearing were you looking for? Or what application, I should say. I've been doing a lot of searching for my parts and came across a lot of different clutch items and I could possibly help. I even have a spare bearing or two that I don't need. If its something you need, you can pay postage and its yours.

Edited by bmx_huckstar