Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So we ran over a garbage can...

So we were doing our usual 2am Urban Alley Rally, and accidently hit someone's garbage can. You know, those big, 5-foot tall, urethane plastic garbage receptacles that are meant to be lifted by a hydraulic ram on the back of the truck? Well... we plowed it totally under the vehicle. 3 minutes of frantic 4wd tire squealing, jacking car up, squealing some more, it was free, albeit extremely mangled (we've since located a new one to take it's place, nobody was the wiser). However, the car now has a wobble on acceleration/deceleration... perhaps tie rods? I checked them out, they're solid, but, of course, I can't put the high stress on them via my hands as compared to my driving... anyone have any ideas of what else to look for? It's a bit annoying, I got pulled over this morning because the cop thought I was drunk, weaving in the lane and all. I wasn't, thankfully, but it's enough of a problem to be a bother. Alignment is peachy, it tracks straight once I correct with the wheel upon in-gear decceleration or acceleration. Any ideas? Anyone ever done something insane like this?

2am and high centered on a trash can...now that's funny I don't care who you are.

yea...funny.... :rolleyes:

I've done my stupid #$%^ in my life, but I'll say this anyway...you're lucky it was just a trash can

and yes, I'm with GD on this one. probably ball joint.

Anyone ever done something insane like this?

11pm rallying down a back road, hit some gravel and wiped out a mailbox. The car was a front wheel drive POS and couldnt even get back off the post. Took five minutes swearing at it whilst jacking it up.

Next time we want pics! :grin:

wasnt insane in _quite_ the same way, but i had a brake job on my 75 280Z that i wound up putting off till christmas eve afternoon one year.. (odd timing i know.. i did my brakes on 9/11/2002 too.. had a ticket to pay that day as well.) and upon leaving my uncles shop after finishing (late) i drove off and heard a clunking in the rear... eventually turned around and went back to the shop to investigate. 1/4 mile down the road from his place, i went over train tracks.. clunk gets REALLY bad and i kick the drivers side rear wheel at about 20-30? i dont remember. dragging on the rear lower A-arm.. JUST barely. if the shocks hadnt held so stiff, the gas tank was next... the wheel went bounding off into the distance.. and i had to jack the car up by the rear bumper mount, then get another under the diff to pick it the rest of the way up to get a wheel on.

of course, the next morning my brother and I had to go hunting for the wheel.. christmas morning, and this is just about the nastiest neighborhood in town.. I'm not one to have qualms about that sort of thing (i drive thru there all the time-duh..) it certainly doesnt make for a nicer christmas morning wheel hunt..

the final verdict was that my family was guilty of telling me i needed to use wheel spacers with these wheels i was borrowing for like two weeks on the rear.. when in fact i needed acorn style lugnuts, instaed of sleeved mag-type.. so the spacer was inappropriate, as was the lugnut. the scary thing was that cars had been raced with these rims and lugnuts and spacers on autocross tracks.... many times.. i guess they used more torque than I, but i still dont take the blame for it.