Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This just started this past week (or at least I noticed it, usually I'm on flat pavement). I took Lil' Su out to the mtns for a camp trip. Any compression was noiseless, but the rebound would elicit a loud bang from the driver's side rear strut mount area. I took off the wheel. Nothing obviously loose or broken there. I took out the back seat and looked at the top of the strut mount area. (not a king of car terminology)

Anyhow, the driver's side looks different than the passg side. The top of the strut is not centered in the hole. It's off to one side.

So, is this rebound problem a damping problem or a mount problem? New rear struts?

btw: I recently had a tire bulge (see my prev post) on the other side. Not likely that they're related? Right?

Sounds like maybe the strut mount is rusted out or something. I'd give the area a good shakedown, like maybe with the upper cover off, bounce up and down on that side of the car and see if you hear anything like the sound you described and see if the strut rod bolt is moving around in there or anything.

It can be a fairly straightforward DIY job, depending on how you plan to fix. You'll need a spring compressor unless you just buy or get an entire strut assembly as grossgary suggested. You may need flare nut wrenches if you need to disconnect the brake line at the fitting that passes through the strut body, unless you just use a dremel or something to cut out the strut a little bit to pop the fitting out without disconnecting it.

actually depending upon the tire bulge they can be related. If you have a an already compromised tire, then have a strut go bad, it cha break the belts in the tire.

Loud themping can be a broken or blown strut, broken sway bar, bad bushing or loose exhaust system, all need to be checked

nipper

you have 4 struts, 2 per axle, Since they get replaced in pairs, its safe to assume they are both as equally worn, one just decided to make noise while the other one decided to (maybe) take a tire with it.

Thats assuming the bulge was from a seperated belt.

nipper

so how much time and $ and learning curve are we talking about here if I replace both rear struts myself?

i havent done it in years, and not on a sooby. Its not that hard, do a search here, and dont forget you have to make a human sacrifice to the mechanic gods the first time (scrape a nuckle)

nipper

I did it and found it to be very straight forward. The hard part is getting the bolts that connect the strut to the spindle loose. Buy a can or two of PB plaster and a 1/2" flex handle at least 18" long. Once I had that stuff it wasn't too difficult and I had both front suspension assemblies swapped out in about an hour. You'll also want to rent some spring compressors. I found the ones I got at Autozone to be surprisingly not scary to use.

It sounds like you need at least one new strut top in the rear. If it isn't centered properly your bushing is trashed. That is most likely the cause of the banging.

If you want to do struts, replace all four. KYB GR2s are available for a 90-91, are slightly stiffer than stock, and pretty inexpensive. Ebay and tirerack seem to be good sources. If you want to use struts for a later legacy or an impreza you run into spring and perch issues that basically require replacing the whole suspension.

This is pretty helpful

Also I noticed one of those threads mentions removing the brake line. Just cut the tab on the strut with a hacksaw and you don't have to worry about it.

So, a new strut is one thing and a "strut top" is another? Just making sure I know what all I'll need to buy.

Also, here's a pic of the off-center strut (drivers side) peeking out from the top. And the "good" strut (pasgr side) with a seal or something sticking up out of the mount.

post-9574-136027617555_thumb.jpg

post-9574-136027617558_thumb.jpg

Yes. You can get away with keeping the struts but I would replace that top ASAP. Here is a handy diagram scottzg of legacycentral made:

rearstrutlabelledvc8.jpg

On your 90 the parts marked strut top and spring perch are actually one piece, as shown in this picture:

9091rear3yn.jpg

You need a new one. 90-91, 92-94, and FWD all have different top/perch setups, so you'll need a top mount for a 90-91 AWD Legacy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

have the same issue on rear passenger side when i bought the car last month. It also had a bad bearing in that same side so i figured it would go away when the bearing was repalced. Nope! first bump on the test drive, Klunk-budump! the loose mount suggestion sounds about right. gonna check and post the results. :mad: