Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starting issue....please help?

Hi kids... looking for advice as usual...and this is the best place to come.

95 Legacy, 160k, AWD auto has intermittant lack of starter trying to spin issue, now and then for 2-3 months.

Local wrench type says starter going...but I'm sceptical. So I replace the starter contacts... it still happens. So I put in a NAPA rebuilt starter.... it still happens, this time in their (NAPA's) yard when returning core. They swap me a premium starter, and check battery while they're at it, so I know battery cells are all good. So I've put (2) re-manufactured starters in it in 3 days and this morning it does it again.

So, my question is, what relay do I have to replace to get this intermittant juice to starter issue to go away? Where does that little wire near the + contact go..I suspect it's related to the culprit...

Thx in advance for any insight you guys can offer... and cheers!

kudd

i've had similar problems in my 97obw. turn the key nothing. i swaped in a 96 leg 2.2 starter, it corrected the problem, for a while. it has recently (after 6 weeks of starting) begun to not start on the first turn of the key. my response is to turn off the a/c, lights, radio and try again. so far it has always started under these conditions. it's also 90 degrees outside, this may contribute. if so it's probably a battery thing.

two thoughts, possible bad wire contacts, ground or positive.; bad cut out relay on the brake pedal or transmission neutral/park lock out.

i had a similar problem on my pickup and i bipassed it by running a new wire to the starter. if the problem persists on my obw, i think i'm goint to run a new wire and install a push button to start, key on then push button.

also when i swapped the starter, i tested both with 12v out of the car both worked great. i swapped it any way , and cleaned the contacts.

what kind of contact cleaner is good???? and protectant???

good luck.

at this point I would suspect the ignition switch itself, try turning it slowly until the starter comes on and see if you goes off if you continue turning the key.

Thanks guys... I hadn't even considered the ignition. I doubt I can do the "go by" test since it lights up so quickly when it works properly.

Must be the single little wire next to the +cable comes from the ignition in some fashion, so I suppose when it isn't working I can check it for some voltage, yes?

thx-

kudd

if you are talking about on the starter, then yes. the big wire is from the battery, the smaller one is from the ignition, by way of a relay. (they don't send tons of amps thru the steering column.) in between the key and the starter there is at least one if not more saftey stops. such as the a/t saftey switch which won't let it start except in park or neutral.

if it's not starting ever, you can test the voltage at that wire / connection on the starter when you try to start. mine however was intermitten and so it never fail when testing. i never tried jumping it from the battery when it wouldn't start. but in theory, if you turn on the key, and send 12v to the small connector on the starter, it should start. BE SURE YOU ARE CLEAR OF MOVING PARTS!!!

it would be best to hard connect a wire to the starter and then put juice to the other end of the wire (pos. battery post.) BE SURE IT'S IN PARK AND THE BRAKE IS ON!!!!! stop sending volts when it starts.

if it starts every time like this the problem is in between the the ignition and the starter. wiring, relay, cutout switch, or something.

wiring diagram will help, i've never checked anything in betwen.

good luck.

Thanks guys... I hadn't even considered the ignition. I doubt I can do the "go by" test since it lights up so quickly when it works properly.

Must be the single little wire next to the +cable comes from the ignition in some fashion, so I suppose when it isn't working I can check it for some voltage, yes?

thx-

kudd

thx-

kudd

Here is what you do. Temporarily hook up a test light from the post on the starter that comes from the ignition switch. If the light lights up and the car doesnt start, its the starter or battery cable. If it doesnt light up its the ignition switch or the neutral saftey (inhibitor) switch. Thats really the only way to be sure.

nipper

Thanks again. I think I've found the problem... the car used to have a security sytem which was removed. There is a relay in that mess that appears to be the culprit. It at least has the ability to kill power to the starter when removed. I'm gonna remove all of security wiring mess and put it back to original... (well with some soldered splices) and hope that cures it.

Thanks for all the advice!

kudd