Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 Legacy tail lights won't shut off, help pls.

Last night I parked my 90 Legacy and started to walk into the house when I noticed that the tail lights were on. I checked the light switch (on the turn signal arm) and it was off.

I had to unplug both tail lights to shut them off.

Can anyone help me troubleshoot this? Where do I start?

Any help appreciated...

That depends what you mean by "tail lights".

If just rear lights, it's probably the brake lights that are on, and likely that your brake light switch is either misadjusted or stuck.

If we're talking parking lights, then the front ones could be on as well, and that might just be the "P" switch on top of the steering column (near the dash) got turned on.

That depends what you mean by "tail lights".

If just rear lights, it's probably the brake lights that are on, and likely that your brake light switch is either misadjusted or stuck.

If we're talking parking lights, then the front ones could be on as well, and that might just be the "P" switch on top of the steering column (near the dash) got turned on.

I believe it's the tail lights... If I press the brake pedal then I get brake lights as usual. Releasing the brake pedal goes back to the tail lights being on. The parking lights in front are not on..

I believe it's the tail lights... If I press the brake pedal then I get brake lights as usual. Releasing the brake pedal goes back to the tail lights being on. The parking lights in front are not on..
Okay; that's a strange one, or at least one I don't have an immediate solution for. Let me think about it a bit more, and maybe look at a wiring diagram.

Oh, Man! As Click and Clack would say....."doesn't anyone screen these calls".

OK, has anyone worked on the car recently for any reason, especially in the electrical system? Body work? Ummm....

Are parking lights "normal" when you turn the light switch, like are they the "same brightness" as the two rear lights that's not supposed to be on? Somehow, the rear bulbs are getting juice when they are not supposed to. Light switch short?

Umm...?

Oh, Man! As Click and Clack would say....."doesn't anyone screen these calls".

OK, has anyone worked on the car recently for any reason, especially in the electrical system? Body work? Ummm....

Are parking lights "normal" when you turn the light switch, like are they the "same brightness" as the two rear lights that's not supposed to be on? Somehow, the rear bulbs are getting juice when they are not supposed to. Light switch short?

Umm...?

Indeed, the rear bulbs were getting juice (pretty obvious there, eh?)...

Anyway, I found the solution in the "compilation FAQ"...

Allow me to introduce you to the "Subaru Virgin" switch.

There is a rocker switch on the top of the steering column. It is labeled with a P and some dashes indicating lighting. This switch turns on the parking lights even if the ignition is off, headlights are off, etc. This is a code/regulation requirement in other countries. What usually happens, is that the unsuspecting owner will bump this switch while cleaning the dash.

Don't feel bad, it's happened to many.

Yesturday I cleaned the dash..... duh

[...]Anyway, I found the solution in the "compilation FAQ"...

Which is what I mentioned in the third sentence of my first response -- except you replied that the front parking lights were not on, so I'm confused. Anyone know if the "P" switch only lights the rears on a '90 Legacy (which I'd find very strange)? Or does grindy have another problem?

Indeed, the rear bulbs were getting juice (pretty obvious there, eh?)...

Anyway, I found the solution in the "compilation FAQ"...

Yesturday I cleaned the dash..... duh

So, then someone did mess with the electrical system!!

Glad it was something simple.

Mike