Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my 2000 legacey just went over 100k miles. the book calls for timing belt replacement at 105k. any body out there ever have it done. know about what it should cost? thanks.

Congrats on the 100k. It is general wisdom to also replace the water pump and all the seals on the front end of the engine when doing this job as it is unlikely they will make it to 210k. I had all the seals done and the water pump and all the belts for just under $1,000 at a local non-dealer shop (they are never the cheapest in the area, but I know their work well). I also live in the D.C. Suburbs where just about everything is expensive so prices will vary depending on region and whether you have a dealer or garage to the work.

at my shop here in NJ, i charge $450 for the 60-105-120K service. that includes all fluids, timing belt, PCV, and plugs. usually add another $125 for the water pump and front seals. not sure about your area, might be cheaper or higher.

i am so going to visit you when my car is due for a timing belt

nipper

For most things with my Subaru's that I don't feel like doing I take them to KC automotive in the Citgo gas station on Burke Road in Burke. I've been dealing with them for about 5 years now and have been happy with their work. Like I said they aren't always the cheapest in the area but they tend to be fair, honest, and good at explaing what you do and don't need.

For most things with my Subaru's that I don't feel like doing I take them to KC automotive in the Citgo gas station on Burke Road in Burke. I've been dealing with them for about 5 years now and have been happy with their work. Like I said they aren't always the cheapest in the area but they tend to be fair, honest, and good at explaing what you do and don't need.

Perfect, thanks!

my 2000 legacey just went over 100k miles. the book calls for timing belt replacement at 105k. any body out there ever have it done. know about what it should cost? thanks.

I paid about $500.00 for a my timing service( included new seels). I hear from good sources that is also wise to replace the water pump, moreover, I would have them evaluate the tensioner- if any signifigant wear then I would replace this as well.

John

I hear Japanese Auto on the corner of Washington and Glebe in Arlington. Shop quoted me a little over $700 for timing belt, water pump, seals. Speaking of timing belt, I have a 97 Legacy GT wagon with 58K miles on it. Should I get the timing belt replaced now since its so old already or wait til 105K miles as stated in the maintenance schedule?

I hear Japanese Auto on the corner of Washington and Glebe in Arlington. Shop quoted me a little over $700 for timing belt, water pump, seals. Speaking of timing belt, I have a 97 Legacy GT wagon with 58K miles on it. Should I get the timing belt replaced now since its so old already or wait til 105K miles as stated in the maintenance schedule?

they base that on 1000 miles a month, so every 105 months, or under every 9 years, so yould be right on scheduale to do it this year