Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i need to take off my front grill on the 97 OBW to install the air horns and driving lights. How does this come off, i couldnt bend that well the other day to look and poke around, i see the top clips, but there must be screws someplace also.

cars almost all up to date, now i just need to get the power antenna to go all the way down, you think i need a mast? How much of a bear is this to chnage?

nipper

The 95-99 grille should only be held in by clips, no screws. There are four across the top that you can readily see, and there two hidden behind the grille near the headlights. If you detach the top four clips and gently pull up and outward on the grille, the two lower ones should detach. Be careful not to break any of them off! In my experience they break easily. I have seen aftermarket grilles installed on Legacies that do not attach the same way as the original, so it is possible yours could be different.

I think you need a replacement mast for the antenna. I have heard there are generic masts available and that the replacement is not extraordinarily hard. Mine does not always retract either, but it doesn't bother me. I have lubricated it with silicone, and that seemed to help for awhile.

i watched a mechanic do mine one day. he just used a long thin screw driver. push down on the center tab of each clip and gently pull, it unsnaps. i was impress, he didn't even look to see waht kind of clip it was . he knew.

On my grill I just used needle nose pliers to squeeze those the clips whilst gently tugging on it to get it off the clips. And yes those clips ain't the sturdiest things in the world and I broke a couple when squeezing them. Then when you're done it just snaps back on.

four on top, two in the middle on the sides (next to the headlights). the top four are easy enough, and you should be able to grab the middle of the grille and rotate it up and toward you to get it off. this is very awkward and might hurt your back there nip, so pull the grille toward you a little and use a flat head screwdriver (long shaft) to pry up the one clip on the passenger side of the grille. then pull and it should come off (you won't get at the one on the driver side because the'outback' emblem is there)

four on top, two in the middle on the sides (next to the headlights). the top four are easy enough, and you should be able to grab the middle of the grille and rotate it up and toward you to get it off. this is very awkward and might hurt your back there nip, so pull the grille toward you a little and use a flat head screwdriver (long shaft) to pry up the one clip on the passenger side of the grille. then pull and it should come off (you won't get at the one on the driver side because the'outback' emblem is there)

i have to polish my headlights anyway, would it be easier with the headlights off?