Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 XT6 5spd, AWD...should I buy?

I have an opportunity to buy this for $600. It needs a water pump, it just started leaking from weeping hole. Also, valve lifters/lashers ticking. The owner was told by a reputable subaru mechanic, that a new oil pump would take care of the problem since these lifters rarely need adjustment (hydraulic). Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Do the water pump and oil pump at the same time; while you're in there replace the timing belts, cam seals, and front main seal. The oil pump most likely just need to be resealed, though you can buy a brand new one if it makes you feel more comfortable. $600 sounds like a good deal, and the jobs I mentioned above are about $150-$200 in parts, more if you need to have the work done for you. All I can tell you is that I love my XT6, which is the same year and drivetrain as the one you are looking at, and wouldn't hesitate to buy her twin for $600 if the opportunity came up in my area. Also, check out www.xt6.net for more precise info on this car.

how old are you????

this is PROBABLY going to become your favorite car youve ever owned. my dad has driven Zcars (mostly 240, one 300ZX and one turbo 280ZX that was FAST...) for thirty years, and one subaru XT6 (89, brand new, five speed) and as much as he loves his zcars.... he STILL says the soob was the most amazing car hes ever owned. also been an owner of several 6-cylinder 60s era alfa romeos... a couple of V8 american POSs... (beg pardon, call it a prejudice) one race-prepped miata and a couple of RX-7s.

absolutely one of the coolest cars ever made. i hold it in higher esteem than the SVX, but thats because ive only seen svxs at 20mph or more... never even pulled up next to one stationary at a stoplight. :- (