Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Do u find ur light bright?

I have a 93 legacy, but the lights just don't seem like there on. I got the cool blue bulbs. But i heard they dim over time. What bulbs can you recommend that are super bright. I know off silverstar, but they only last 1 month and then i need to spend another $50. Any ideas, thanks guys.

There are many bright bulb and look for a real seat of HID lights.In my SVX, I add the Subaru Tail Light Guards, but my headlamps are still tons brighter I think that's due to design and a higher wattage bulb. :banana:

Uh, I mean what cutoff?

Those are very bright bulbs and the halogen reflectors simply cannot handle them. That's why they are illegal, and that's why it is a very bad idea to use them.

Without a proper reflector, there is way too much light going all over the place, which blinds oncoming drivers and adds too much foreground light.

There wasn't any cutoff with the stock halogens either. I'm not saying the stock reflectors are great, but you haven't shown either how this razor sharp cutoff is neccesary, or any evidence that they blind anyone (when properly aligned). Suberdave hasn't had any problems - neither with the police, or with people flashing him. And many others have the same experience. As long as you aim the lights away from oncomming traffic they are no more dangerous than the stock halogens that had no real cutoff to begin with. If this was such a huge problem then you would see legislation to ban the sale of "retrofit" kits.

GD

the sale of retrofit kits is illegal for that exact reason.

HID, or any lighting for that matter, when improperly aimed or not having a sharp cutoff, significantly increases glare and the time it takes for an oncoming driver to recover when you pass.

I expect any that are available online come from another country and/or say "for offroad use only."

Only read the first post, so I'll jsut add.

Narva 50+'s are really sweet. Gives me almost the same light as those newer cars have. They are only a tiny bit more white then standard bulbs. Can't say if they'll last, only had them in for a couple of months now. And I don't drive the car much.

My local shop sells retrofit kits for all bulb models starting at $155. Nice kits too. Nothing illegal about em.

GD

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/interps/files/deetz.ztv.html

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is targeting high-intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits for enforcement actions. NHTSA has concluded that it is impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system to HID) that would be compliant with the federal lighting standard, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 108. The noncompliant kits frequently include a HID bulb, a ballast, an igniter, a relay and wiring harness adapters. The NHTSA believes this equipment presents a safety risk to the public since the kits can be expected to produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists. In one investigation, the NHTSA found that an HID conversion headlamp exceeded the maximum allowable candlepower by over 800%.

Under FMVSS No. 108 Section S7.7 (replaceable light sources), each replaceable light source for headlamps must be designed to conform to the dimensions and electrical specifications for the headlamp source it is intended to replace. For example, if an HID kit is marketed as replacing an H1 light source, then it must match the H1's wire coil filament size and location, the electrical connector size and location and the ballast design for use with an H1 light source (which is impossible since there is no ballast). Consequently, companies that are manufacturing HID light sources (e.g., D1S, D1R, D2S, D2R, 9500, etc…) with incandescent light source bases (e.g., H1, H3, H7, H8, H9, H11, H13, HB1, HB2, HB3, HB4, HB5, etc…) should be aware that this light source design would not be one that conforms to FMVSS No. 108, and could not be imported and sold in the United States without violating Federal law. (The importer is treated as the manufacturer and subject to the same fines and penalties that apply to a domestic manufacturer.)

NHTSA has also determined that a commonly used disclaimer "for off-road use only" has no legal meaning and is not recognized by the agency as the manufacturer, importer and retailer are not in a position to control use once a product has been sold. Any equipment offered for sale which is covered by FMVSS No. 108 (headlamps, taillamps, side markers, etc.) must comply with the standard.