Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 Legacy Windshield replacement question - what years can I use?

I tried searching the forum but couldnt find the answer to this seemingly easy question:

What years will work on my 1990 Legacy for a replacement windshield?

Any tips on the process of doing it myself would be appreciated too - I hope/plan to pull on from a local salvage sometime soon, but want to get the right one. (I know the front ends of the 1990-91 and the 92-94 are different, so I dont want to make a mistake if the windshields are different too)

Many thanks - Bret

A brand new windshield is a wonder to behold. Unless you can find a new one in a junkyard, go ahead and buy a new one. Should be $140-$200 professionally installed. Think about it, you look at (through) the windshield more than any other part of the car. If you have comprehensive insurance the windshield is probably free.

I work at a windshield place and I've found 90-94 legacies all use the same window. I dont have the # right off hand, but I know 90-94 are all the same. Dont mess with getting one from a JY. 90% of the time, they will crack them cutting the windshield out of a parts car. You should be able to goto a Windshield wholesaler shop and get a new one with a top molding for like 125 bucks. Make sure you get two tubes of Sikaflex 220 or Sikaflex Cooltack urethane.

excellent advice from someone who knows !!! :clap:

I work at a windshield place and I've found 90-94 legacies all use the same window. I dont have the # right off hand, but I know 90-94 are all the same. Dont mess with getting one from a JY. 90% of the time, they will crack them cutting the windshield out of a parts car. You should be able to goto a Windshield wholesaler shop and get a new one with a top molding for like 125 bucks. Make sure you get two tubes of Sikaflex 220 or Sikaflex Cooltack urethane.

Here is some more advice from someone doing autoglass for 14 years now. Pay someone who knows what they are doing. As simple as you might think it is, a screw up can mean you or a passenger might not be alive after an accident. In addition to the glass and adhesives, you must have the proper primers for the body and the glass and they have to be applied PROPERLY. Otherwise, your windshield will not be bonded or at the very least, leaking like crazy.

If you account for the time and money doing it yourself, you will find that most of the time it will only be a little more to have it professionally installed.

I fix these screwups on a regular basis from people "trying" to save money doing it themselves with no experience, only to cost them more in the end.