Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Questions about early Legacy wagons

Hi. I'm from the old generation side--was on my second 93 loyale when it got rear-ended a couple weeks ago. The other guy's insurance totalled it out and gave me a nice check, so I'm thinking about an early 90's Legacy, probably a wagon. I searched google images and saw that some had a straight roofline while others had a raised section like an Outback--is this just certain years, or just a certain version like a touring wagon? Also I'm going to be looking for an automatic, I know the old trannies aren't great, but is there anything I should watch out for? Thanks.

Hi. I'm from the old generation side--was on my second 93 loyale when it got rear-ended a couple weeks ago. The other guy's insurance totalled it out and gave me a nice check, so I'm thinking about an early 90's Legacy, probably a wagon. I searched google images and saw that some had a straight roofline while others had a raised section like an Outback--is this just certain years, or just a certain version like a touring wagon? Also I'm going to be looking for an automatic, I know the old trannies aren't great, but is there anything I should watch out for? Thanks.

THe old trannies are great, just the failure off a solenoid for the AWD isnt great. Now between 90-94, stick to 92-94 much more reliable, and anything earlier is still reliable as it is a subaru, just there may be the odd knock sensor failure, tranny failure, u need to do the external transmission filter recal for 89-91 i believe. Now just make sure the car doesnt bind around tight turns, and be sure when u do buy one to change oil, timing belt, diff oil, tranny oil, and look at colant level, and power steering, and engine, and tranny levels. ANd 2.2l engines are great so dont be worried about engine issues. But be sure there are no serious oil leaks, i mean the odd bit off oil around the head wont hurt, but try and avoid cars like that.

I resent that 90-91 Legacy Wagon comment. They're just as reliable as the 92-94. Come on, Doug goes through an engine a week with his courtesy of his SC's, but they keep coming back. And, he has a 90-91 style.

The raised roof is just a difference in chassis. I believe those are the "BJ" style (ie. your vin number would start with like "4S4BJ"). They aren't really any different than their BF counter parts.

The old trannies aren't bad if you don't beat the crap out of them. The 4EAT isn't that badly designed, it's just that it doesn't like heat. I have a 4.11 Geared 4EAT in my sedan, and it's given me no trouble. I'd stick to finding a 5MT, probably a little more reliable than a 4EAT, but that's not saying that the 4EAT is a ticking time bomb or anything.

Ya i resent the 4EAT not being as reliable as the 5MT, bearing and clutches can go wrong with a 5MT, and with a 4EAT just the solenoid can die, but in most cases it is just the clutch for the AWD solenoid and a tranny flush usually fixed it.

Edit: fixed the clutches from sticking not a dead solenoid(torque bind)

Solenoid problems are not nearly as common as clutchpack issues. And then, even those aren't *that common.

either a VC or clutch pack can go south. The VC is more rare then the clutch pack. The VC gives no warning, while the clutch pack will. It really sint enough of an issue to pick one over the other. Pick something that you will like, as subarus really dont have any non fixable issues.

nipper

Thanks for the replies--I'd rather have a 5 speed too, but my arthritic knees usually won't cooperate, oh well. I drove a couple legacys a friend had through his shop and they seemed to have just enough more power to drive like a fairly peppy car. The reviews still call them slow, but you haven't seen slow till you've driven an EA81/3AT like my first soob.