Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need some help! EMERGENCY! car in- need tommorow!!

Ok, got the parts spent $345CDN bought belts, pulley, and the piece it grabs onto behind it, i was told to torque it downt to 150ft-lbs!!!!!! THis has happened more than once, and my dad seems pissed after spending so much money on this car, i mean we must have spent 15,000 between repairs, and wear and tear, and oil changes, but all this money was spent after it was more than 12 years old. Oh well, i will never get back that money. But im hoping that i get this car blessed and nothing goes wrong. Im sick off shady mechanics, they dont know what they are doing. YOu might think it saves u money, but it deosnt, they cost u money in the long run. Subaru Missasauga is the only people who touch my subaru till i die.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok ,new update, i pulled out the old key from the crankcase, but dam, i dropped the other one in the timing cover:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:. SO now i gota remove the timing cover. Oh well, but it seems like a simple job, and i bought a torque wrench set with impact pieces(the black hard steel ones) and i will torque the bolts down to 150ft-lb. Am ill dumb some blue locktite on the bolt, that odd to hold it eh? And i bought this thing that will hold the pulley instead off jaming the flywheel($20). So tommorow hopefully it wont rain so i get get a better look at things. In total i have spent about $500CDN between tools($150) and the rest in parts (key, pulley, belts, advice).

Ok ,new update, i pulled out the old key from the crankcase, but dam, i dropped the other one in the timing cover:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:. SO now i gota remove the timing cover. Oh well, but it seems like a simple job, and i bought a torque wrench set with impact pieces(the black hard steel ones) and i will torque the bolts down to 150ft-lb. Am ill dumb some blue locktite on the bolt, that odd to hold it eh? And i bought this thing that will hold the pulley instead off jaming the flywheel($20). So tommorow hopefully it wont rain so i get get a better look at things. In total i have spent about $500CDN between tools($150) and the rest in parts (key, pulley, belts, advice).

150 is too high, you can strip the threads in the crank, then you will be really in trouble. Go with the numbers we said here. With the Loctite (which i dont beleive in personally there) and the proper torque, you wont have a problem.

Remeber that this may have to be removed again in the future, and you donw want to stretsh any threads.

nipper

Ah yes the ol' pully holder thingy :brow:, otherwise known as a strap wrench.

nipper

So, which this i dont need to jam the flywheel correct? And about this ft-lb for the bolt, im totally lost. I mean the dealer saus 150, u say 70-80 my dad thinks 150, someone says 100, somone says its to much aw!!!

So, which this i dont need to jam the flywheel correct? And about this ft-lb for the bolt, im totally lost. I mean the dealer saus 150, u say 70-80 my dad thinks 150, someone says 100, somone says its to much aw!!!

Haynes Manual (which information comes from the factory service manual)

Crankshaft Pully Bolt

2.2L 70-80 Ft Lbs

2.5L 90-100 Ft Lbs

With the loctite you will be fine.

mipper

IM back guys, and i did it 140ft-lbs with blue locktight, changed the key,and the pulley and belts, runs perfect. NOW my alternator died :horse::horse::horse::horse::horse::horse:. So dum o well, new alertornator on the way. What do u guys suggest i do, rebuild it? New oem one? another good name aftermarket you can suggest? and this alternator was replaced once about 6 years ago. So ya. but i didnt even add another 100,000km since the last time it was changed why did it die so early? if i accidentally sprayed something on it or water got on it, would it die? And just wondering, a torque wrench is suppost to release once it reaches 140ft-lbs correct? like it just lets go? because i dont want to think the screw is stripped:o. Ok well i drove it with a dead battery and everything is great, dum alternator though. Oh well. After the alternator is fixed i better not spent another dime!!!!! or i will totally dump this car!!

HAHAHAHAHA now was it left hand rule and right hand threads or the other way around :)

Did you overtighten the drive belts? Just go anyplace reputable for a rebuild.

nipper

Nope not to tight not to loose, i can still push the belt a tiny bit. So is that reputible? or does it need to be more tight maybe? is it slipping possibly?