Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine making a clicking sound!

I changed the oil tonight -- WOW, talk about being dirty for only being in there for 24 hours. The clicking still hasn't returned so I'm calling SeaFoam the cure. Guess that SeaFoam cleaned some crap up.

seafoamoil1.jpg

seafoamoil2.jpg

While I was under there last night and tonight, I noticed I've got an oil leak from somewhere. Sprayed some cleaner on the whole area, let it soak and then hosed it off. Here is what it looks like before (no after pics because it's too dark now):

engine_underside4.jpg

That leak is a rear crank seal leak. Almost all the old legacys have it. Just get used to putting in a little oil every once in a while...fixing that leak requires transmission removal.

Yea, well my transmission WAS just replaced last weekend. Guess they were sloppy and didn't replace the seals?

That leak is a rear crank seal leak. Almost all the old legacys have it. Just get used to putting in a little oil every once in a while...fixing that leak requires transmission removal.

i have the seperator plate thingy leaking, i look at it as rust prevention.

nipper

You know what my car doesnt leak anymore after the last guys who fixed my tranny. Maybe they changed the seals, and i sprayed junk all over the bottom, and cleaned off the oil, and now i dont see any oil, anywhere. Is that good or what. BUt nipper made a good point, rust proofing, yes, but it might be a huge lose off oil for the engine. I get my car rust proofed yearly now so i dont care.