Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Did you mean to post a link for the additive? Additives that say 'water pump lube' are basically useless; the water pump has a sealed bearing anyway. Anti-rust, etc., well that's what the additives in the coolant you use are for! I wouldn't run any additive except maybe the leak preventer goop Subaru recommends for those 'external head gasket leak' issues.

Use distilled or reverse osmosis water in the coolant if possible. I like a G-05 coolant, has some silicates for immediate corrosion protection, plus a OAT for a nice long term protective coating. Conventional high silicate antifreezes can tend to precipitate the silicates out if left in too long leaving a kind of sandy stuff in the cooling system. Cooling system cleaners aren't really suggested either.

Still, ethylene glycol based coolants are mostly ~97% or so ethylene glycol, 1-2% water, so that's only a few percent at most of additives.

I'm sorry I was a little vague. I mean the coolant conditioner for 00-02 OB. The stop leak that Subaru is using to prevent external headgasket leaks. Unfortunately I have been smelling a faint whiff of antifreeze. It may be something else. I haven't had the oppurtunity to really inspect yet. 00 OBW.

Sweet cannonball! I have a '00 OBW also. I'm working on it right now actually and am planning to put in that Subaru coolant conditioner, which is actually relabelled something else, forget the name, it's in other threads. It's kind of goopy, but it should seal the leaks.

My understanding is that the leaks for this model (i'm so very much hoping anyway!!) are external leaks, not leaking into the oil or anything else.

Some people I think have claimed that the goop has plugged up heater cores, etc., but maybe they had other leaks too; I'm going to put in the goop.

Sweet cannonball! I have a '00 OBW also. I'm working on it right now actually and am planning to put in that Subaru coolant conditioner, which is actually relabelled something else, forget the name, it's in other threads. It's kind of goopy, but it should seal the leaks.

My understanding is that the leaks for this model (i'm so very much hoping anyway!!) are external leaks, not leaking into the oil or anything else.

Some people I think have claimed that the goop has plugged up heater cores, etc., but maybe they had other leaks too; I'm going to put in the goop.

The product Subaru sent me for my '99 Forester ( something conditioner) is not goopy at all, however it is strange in color. It looks kinda like very rusty antifreeze to me.

John

I had it installed under recall at 75K miles and poured in another bottle when I did the t-belt service at 105K miles -- no problems. Just make sure you burp the cooling system.

The goop is Holts Radweld of England, and I believe it's silicone in suspension. Holts is a part of the Honeywell group, which also owns Fram, Prestone, and Autolite. I think SOA chose a more "exotic" product for the recall in order to disguise the fact that they are offering their customers stopleak as remedy for a major design flaw. I think "goop" refers more to its function (glue) rather than its consistency.

The only horror story I've heard is that it can plug up the weep hole on your water pump, which is supposed to warn you of impending pump bearing failure. Just keep an eye on your water pump and the temperature gauge.

Just curious as to the expected usefulness of this additive, and how detrimental it could be if you go way over the regular coolant change interval?

I forgot to mention, I have had no ill effects from this product whatsoever- Heater works perfect, etc, and so far no leaks at 133000K. It was a little odd adding this dirty appearing liquid to my nice freshly changed coolant.

Well I just got done with a thorough inspection, and the good news is that it is not a headgasket. the bad news is it's the radiator. I found where there is some weepage at the bottom of the radiator where the plastic basin connects to the aluminum part right above the bottom radiator hose. I had the additive put in around 105,000 and now I have 160,000. I'm thinking of adding another bottle to see if it will seal up the leak.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64980&highlight=radiator

A little more investigative work turned up this thread. Description sounded just like mine. I looked at the radiator cap and sure enough there was a small stream running down the side. I followed it all the way down the fan shroud as well. I don't know how I missed this initially. I cleaned it off and will have to see if it does it again to confirm my findings.

mine didn't leak when cold. not untril the system heated up and the pressure increased. my cap looked ok on the outside, but it still leaked. i wonder if oem cap would last longer (mine was not oem, old or new). i didn't even price it.

good luck.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64980&highlight=radiator

A little more investigative work turned up this thread. Description sounded just like mine. I looked at the radiator cap and sure enough there was a small stream running down the side. I followed it all the way down the fan shroud as well. I don't know how I missed this initially. I cleaned it off and will have to see if it does it again to confirm my findings.

This was after driving a while so my engine was at op temp as well. It makes sense because the day I lost the most coolant was the day I was pushing the rpm's. It dropped about an inch in the resevoir tank by the next morning. Filled it back up and drove caustiously that day and the tank didn't drop at all by the next morning.