Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A friend of mine is a used car dealer,honest guy,says subies are fantastic.

But he tells me not to go over 60mph in the rain because the ecu for the awd

is apt to lock a wheel for a split second,sending you into an unrecoverable spin.I imagine this is an extremely rare occurence,but he says he seen it happen 2 times on the track and once on a highway.

Has anyone heard of this,or under what conditions/mods,etc??

What he probably saw was someone go into a corner too fast and lift off the throttle abruptly. That's a pretty good way to spin it regardless of drivetrain.

VDC can brake individual wheels, but I don't see how it would randomly lock one up at high speed.

I've driven much faster than 60 in the rain and haven't had any problems.

A friend of mine is a used car dealer,honest guy,says subies are fantastic.

But he tells me not to go over 60mph in the rain because the ecu for the awd

is apt to lock a wheel for a split second,sending you into an unrecoverable spin.I imagine this is an extremely rare occurence,but he says he seen it happen 2 times on the track and once on a highway.

Has anyone heard of this,or under what conditions/mods,etc??

:eek:

never buy cars from this man, he doesnt understand the differnce between AWD and part time 4wd. ANything one sees on the track is not considered nomral useage or driving. On the highway i have heard about it but it is with part time 4wd.

In this litagous society, if this ever happened for real, subaru would be out of business.

How one can seeanything happen, then establish a cause and effect from witnessing it without an analysis and some engineering background, does not know what he is talking about.

AWD has been used in eurpo for years on the autobahn (where 140 mph is not unusual). Subarus have sold for YEARS and regularly driven over 70 mph in the rain.

Say, i have a bridge to sell too if your freind is interested :grin: .

nipper

so are you saying that this could happen with part-time 4wd? How?

Part time four wheel drive does not have a center differential (the old dual ranges) nor a visous coupling. Basic 4wd systems dont have this either.

The front wheels turn at a differnt speed then the rears on curves (even slight ones). SInce thetwo axles are mechanically attached to each other, there is no way for the "wind up" of the driveshafts to be avoided. IN the rain The fatser the car is traveling, the more faster windup will build up. THere will come a point where one of the wheels will spin faster then the other three, depending upon which one looses traction for an instant.

This can result in a loss of control. This warning about driving over 5o applies to all vehicals with a simple 2 speed transfer case and part time 4wd.

nipper

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with this guy doesn't know anything. I spun a CRX once at 60 miles in the rain because I lifted a little too much going into a corner. That's how you're most likely to get into trouble in the rain. There is nothing in a subaru (at least one that is in proper working order) that would cause a wheel to lock.