Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Some minor issues - committed to keeping my baby!

Hmm, well after starting a new job and looking around at a bunch of new vehicles (new Subies, Honda Element, Chevy HHR among them) I've decided to keep my old '99 OBW. Basically, I reasoned that one of the reasons I got a Subaru is their reputation for longevity, so if I trade it in now when it "only" has 118k on it, then I'm not getting some of the value I paid for. Plus it still runs fine and on a trip to Yellostone NP last weekend, it got over 29mpg three tanks in a row! And also I hate making car payments. :lol:

But, as with any 7 year old/120k car, it's got some issues I hope the good folks here can help me with (as they've been so helpful in the past) ;)

First off, the local independent dealer says that it's going to need new plugs and wires soon. Not a problem, I figured as much. But he wants $250 to change them. I've never worked on a flat-4 motor but are they that hard to change the plugs on? Are special tools needed? Any tips?

Next, I've got a couple of dash lights burned out - the one behind the AC controls (I understand this is a common one) but also the LED that lights up when the cruise control is turned on. How difficult is it to change these bulbs? It's a PITA when I can't tell whether my CC is on or not (and the CC works fine, which is why I assume it's just the indicator light.)

Third, the drivers seat is crushed down - can anyone recommend an upholsterer in the Denver area that can re-stuff it? I don't want to put in a new seat, I'd rather just fix the one that's in it now.

Fourth, it's going to need new tires soon. I'm currently running stock sized 205/70-15s, but have thought it might make more sense to go to a 205/75 to give me a smidgen more of ground clearance, and since my speedo is already registering too high, I figure it will help to correct that problem, too. Has anyone gone to 205/75's and if so, were there any problems?

Fifth, speaking of tires, I really want to get a full-sized spare. Will the steel wheel of the 1st Generation Forester/Impreza fit on the Outback? I don't see any point in getting another alloy wheel, steel wheels are fine for the spare and probably cheaper, too. IIRC some of the Imprezas/Foresters had drum brakes in the rear vs the Legacy's disks - any clearance or offset issues to think about?

I'm also contemplating a new sound system, but that's going to have to wait until all the important stuff is done.

So, any input/experience/suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

1. There are no special tools needed. Just the wires, plugs, and a socket for undoing the plugs themselves.

2. In regard to the CC light - assuming that it's anything like the 90-94, just take the CC switch apart (the one that turns it on and off) and you'll find the bulb that's burnt out. Taking the switch out of the car shouldn't be too hard of a job - just a little prying and unplugging the switch.

I don't know enough about the rest to answer them well. But those should be semi-useful.

Excellent choice on keeping the '99, that things just getting started! And yes not having a car payment opens up so many more opportunities.

The spark plugs are relatively easy to get it; on the RH side (passenger) it can help to pull at that crazy plastic intake piping out of the way, I think the RH side is the easier of the two sides to do.

On the LH side, it really helps if you take out the washer fluid tank, which is fairly simply to do, just pop off two connectors, undo those two bolts, and pull off the little rubber hoses, it helps to drain/siphon/suck/use up as much of the washer fluid as possible first so it doesn't come streaming out. Sometimes I pull the battery out too.

You'll need of course a spark plug socket and probably a 4-6" or so extension on it (make sure to tape the socket to the extension if it doesn't lock so you don't loose the socket down in there, or have a strong magnet retriever at the ready). Typically just use some sort of NGK spark plug as replacement (that's OE anyway). Replace plug wires if they look dingy at all; generally OE is suggested. Pack the boots and connections with silicone dielectric grease to keep moisture out. Don't overtorque the new plugs when putting them in and/or get a torque wrench, they don't have to be very tight and will be tough to get out if they're too tight, some people put a little antisieze on the threads not sure if that's needed or not, some people say if it gets down in there it could cause cat issues.

I'm sure you know if the timing belt hasn't been changed yet it's overdue and if you do it there are other things that should be done at the same time.

First off, the local independent dealer says that it's going to need new plugs and wires soon. Not a problem, I figured as much. But he wants $250 to change them.

i got the same price. but that is for a 96$ wire set. 4 plugs @5$ each, plus 1-2 hrs of labor. the oem wires cost less than 50$ online. plugs are 10$ for 4, and your labor. others will tell you it takes 30 min. but i spent every bit of 2 hours and 4 beers. and it didn't hurt at all.

Third, the drivers seat is crushed down -
again go on line and buy some leather seats, you may have to spend 200$ - 300$ but you'll love it. and since there won't be a car payment, you can afford 300$ next month, or the one after. i know 95 - 99 are all the same , i think the 2000+ years fit as well. but you'd have to check. apparently all LSi and ooutback LIMITED have leather as standard issue. for other cars it was an option.

Next, I've got a couple of dash lights burned out - the one behind the AC controls (I understand this is a common one) but also the LED that lights up when the cruise control is turned on. How difficult is it to change these bulbs? It's a PITA when I can't tell whether my CC is on or not (and the CC works fine, which is why I assume it's just the indicator light.) Martin

See the FAQ sticky for all you ever wanted to know about changing out these bulbs. CC bulb can be done in just a few minutes with a RadioShack replacement bulb. The Climate Control backlights take a bit more work, but it is not difficult.

Commuter

Martin:

This all sounds so familiar... a year ago I was at a similar mileage, some interior lights burned out, needed new tires, etc.

Sounds like your other questions have been answered, on the tires, you can fit a 205/75/15 AT tire, but you may have some slight rubbing when simultaneously turning and going through dips (I did). That went away when I lifted the car via King Springs, but it was minor enough that it wasn't a big deal to me.

Based on my experience, going to an all-terrain tire like this will give you slightly increased tire noise, softer handling from the taller sidewall, and slightly lower mileage on the highway. I have not noticed decreased MPG around town, which is where the car spends most of its time. The ground clearance gain is minimal enough to hardly even count... but the traction and durability improvements are worth it to me. The speedo is in fact more accurate now.

I wanted the AT tire for trips off the beaten path and it has not disappointed in that regard. If you went with a taller tire but all season tread, I'd expect only the softer handling drawback, shouldn't have increased noise or rolling resistance.

(most) Wheels from other Subarus will fit:

http://www.wac.addr.com/auto/obs/wheels.html

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/tiresandwheels.html

I think you should keep the car (especially if you're considering an Element or HHR :-p )

Steve

Hmm, well after starting a new job and looking around at a bunch of new vehicles (new Subies, Honda Element, Chevy HHR among them) I've decided to keep my old '99 OBW. Basically, I reasoned that one of the reasons I got a Subaru is their reputation for longevity, so if I trade it in now when it "only" has 118k on it, then I'm not getting some of the value I paid for. Plus it still runs fine and on a trip to Yellostone NP last weekend, it got over 29mpg three tanks in a row! And also I hate making car payments. :lol:

But, as with any 7 year old/120k car, it's got some issues I hope the good folks here can help me with (as they've been so helpful in the past) ;)

First off, the local independent dealer says that it's going to need new plugs and wires soon. Not a problem, I figured as much. But he wants $250 to change them. I've never worked on a flat-4 motor but are they that hard to change the plugs on? Are special tools needed? Any tips?

Next, I've got a couple of dash lights burned out - the one behind the AC controls (I understand this is a common one) but also the LED that lights up when the cruise control is turned on. How difficult is it to change these bulbs? It's a PITA when I can't tell whether my CC is on or not (and the CC works fine, which is why I assume it's just the indicator light.)

Third, the drivers seat is crushed down - can anyone recommend an upholsterer in the Denver area that can re-stuff it? I don't want to put in a new seat, I'd rather just fix the one that's in it now.

Fourth, it's going to need new tires soon. I'm currently running stock sized 205/70-15s, but have thought it might make more sense to go to a 205/75 to give me a smidgen more of ground clearance, and since my speedo is already registering too high, I figure it will help to correct that problem, too. Has anyone gone to 205/75's and if so, were there any problems?

Fifth, speaking of tires, I really want to get a full-sized spare. Will the steel wheel of the 1st Generation Forester/Impreza fit on the Outback? I don't see any point in getting another alloy wheel, steel wheels are fine for the spare and probably cheaper, too. IIRC some of the Imprezas/Foresters had drum brakes in the rear vs the Legacy's disks - any clearance or offset issues to think about?

I'm also contemplating a new sound system, but that's going to have to wait until all the important stuff is done.

So, any input/experience/suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

Leather seats would be awesome, however, if you decide to keep what you have it is likely you could buy just the seat cushions themselves retaining all your hardware. This at least is how my forester is made. It might be a little cheaper then having them reupholstered.

John