Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My name is Matt and I have a 160,000 on my 97 2.2 and yes I have piston slap. It is loud when it's cold but goes away when it's at temp. This is normal operating procedure, nothing to be worried about.

really?

I have a 93 leg with a 2.2 non turbo and when its -30- -40 it starts without any ticking, or clikcing, or hesitation, on 5w-30 but my dads nissan titan 2004 with 46,000km ticks on a cold start, and sometimes even burns oil, and hes running synthetic oil. Maybe the lifters need to be replaced? I dont know lol. U try running high premium fuel?

OK, what am I missing you have a 1996 Impreza 2.2l, 127,000 miles, its 10 years old and you have piston slap, why would you spend any money to get it fixed. Is it worth sinking a G into it so that noise goes away. No way.

I wasn't necessarily saying that it needed fixing, and I don't plan on spending a grand to fix the ticking. Just looking for opinions as to the cause, possible fixes and problems that might arise from doing nothing.

Yes, it's 10 years old, 127k + miles and has a sticking (or bad) HLA, not piston slap. Other than that, the car runs great, still looks good and I plan on running it to at least 200k miles, hopefully more. The car also likes the new tires I just bought for it and put 2,500 miles on it in the past month. I don't mind spending a little money on it now and then to keep it running well.

I ran seafoam in my 90 legacy wagon AWD 5spd and it went from having a nice quiet engine to having loud lifters. It's supposed to "free up" the lifters and that's exactly what it did lol. It fried up all those sticky lifters and after that they were loud as hell. But that only lasted about a day or two and then they were quiet again.

I did the same thing to my other 90 legacy wagon AWD 4EAT and nothing happened. Well, the tranny shifted smoother for a while but then slowly went back to shifting a bit rougher into 2nd like it used to.

My name is Matt and I have a 160,000 on my 97 2.2 and yes I have piston slap. It is loud when it's cold but goes away when it's at temp. This is normal operating procedure, nothing to be worried about.

2.2 do not have piston slap, that is a fun 2.5 trait.

This is a lifter noise and I am wondering if will freeze up on me.

We have had a few reports of high mileage 2.2s having piston slap. Remember Setright? I would not sweat piston slap but sticky lifters would bug me. Are you near anybody who could listen to it for you? They are quite distinctive sounds and lifter noise often stays when warm.

I just switched to Havoline in mine and it made a big sound change in the piston slap, much deeper, seems to muffle it a bit. I got the idea from folks on bobistheoilguy. I was kind of skeptical since I used to run Pennsoil dino and I figured Havoline to be about the same but it isn't.