Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Intercooler....help please

I have just mistakenly bought an intercooler that was from a twin turbo model so it probably has an extra outlet pipe. Can i still use it and if so what do I need to do to it to make it think its only for a single turbo?

Can I just block one of the outlets or can i join them up with a y pipe or something? I am no expert, just trying to do an intercooler conversion so any help on the whole process will be much apreciated. Cheers.

I love the enthusiasm.

Whereabouts in NZ are you?

your library may have a book on supercharging.

Basically you just need to fabricate a pipe from the turbo to the IC inlet and from the outlets to the cylinder inlets.

Simple in theory but probably will take a fair bit of time and coin.

Don't know what the ideal diameter pipe for an ea82 is, maybe someone here can help you on that. too small and it'll restrict flow, too big and it'll add lag as all that airspace has to be compressed too.

Avoid any sharp bends in the pipe. Like cars, air goes round smooth bends better.

Make sure it's all airtight and able to contain the pressures you're putting on it.

Make sure it's flexible enough not to crack when everything moves about.

Make sure it's able to withstand the heat involved.

Mount the IC somewhere wher it'll get a good flow of cold air.

yeah and plumbing fittings are NOT! a good substitute for silicone bends... no offense people who use them... water and air are 2 different things! but!!! They are an excellent way to see if your idea will work and are good for a few test runs... basicly what im sayin is use abs or pvc to mock it up and test it but... step up to the plate and buy quality after you makesure it works good!

I have worked on three completely different intercooler set ups on EA82Ts. yeah you need to know how to do some fab work or pay someone to help you out if you cannot do it yourself.

I highly recomend intercooling espically when done right.

beataru has one of my intercooler instalations in his wagon(was mine). just as he stated I used some pcv pipe to set it up and then redid it with mandrel bent steel and silicone connections. I think I probably spent 500$ and a ton of time getting it all to work on that car. the other two set ups were more affordable mostly because the turbos were stock rather than a TD04.

I have just mistakenly bought an intercooler that was from a twin turbo model so it probably has an extra outlet pipe. Can i still use it and if so what do I need to do to it to make it think its only for a single turbo?

I think that simply blocking off the other inlet would be sufficient, yes.

i was surprised at all the conversation that had been stimulated here without that question being answered... I sure hope im not wrong, all my turbocharging and intercooling knowledge is hearsay/second hand...

I think that simply blocking off the other inlet would be sufficient, yes.

chances are, that'll only utilize part of the intercooler.

You'll need something like this:

PICT0620.jpg

except I suspect your inlets are pointed in different directions. but that intercooler is a stock single turbo WRX one, the Y is also stock, but we had to modify it a bit to reach the turbo (this was going in an impreza....)

thanks. it seemed like everyone missed that question, I figured if i put my foot in my mouth, it would get the right answer one way or another

Yes it looks very similar to the one pictured above but one of the intercooler outlet tubes has a flapper type shut off and a large round external "thing" with a vacuum hose coming off of it, there are also 3 vacuum hoses on the other end of the pipe near the intercooler side. The other pipe is nice and simple looking and does not baffle me. I tried to post pics for you all to see but I am not allowed to post attachments for some reason. So my question to you knowledgable chaps is do i need to get a new "uncomplicated" pipe or can I use the one with all the doodackys on it and what on earth are the 4 vacuum hoses for. Sorry for being a newb but I hope to improve my knowledge through things I pick up from those who have done it.

Cheers all.

I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to, but it sounds like the valve with the vacuum line you mentioned would be the blow-off valve (or BOV). it releases the boost pressure when you let off the throttle. as far as the other 3 are concerned, I have no idea....hehehe....sorry

and I beleive you need to have a certain number of posts before you can attach things, and it could be 10 (which I see you now have), so maybe try it again...

I just noticed you said it would have 2 outlets....which isn't the case, since it goes straight to the Throttle body, and unless you've got 2 of those, you'll only have one outlet. it'll have 2 INLETS, but so do the ones with only one turbo.

remember, any lines on the intercooler won't be a vacuum line. it'll have boost, the vacuum lines will be before the turbo, the line from the BOV will go to the intake manifold, so when you let off the throttle, there'll be more pressure in the intercooler, and less in the manifold, and that opens the valve, and releases that pressure.

If you can get a pic of the intercooler for us, we can help assess how much time and effort is needed to make it work. In total for my WRX intercooler install, minus the cost of my spyder intake, I'm in the neighborhood of about $250 bucks. I used all silicone hoses, some aluminum piping and a piece of steel exhaust tubing from the autoparts store so I could weld a fitting into it for the AAV.

I used all silicone hoses, some aluminum piping and a piece of steel exhaust tubing from the autoparts store so I could weld a fitting into it for the AAV.

Hey.

Is it possible to just use silicone hose for all the piping instead of fabricating custom aluminum pipes? Would an intercooler from a turbo diesel (eg mitsubishi pajero) work for an EA82T?

Cheers

Here are the pics....sorry it took so long to upload....was having trouble.

The pipe on the right is the baffling one....inside the pipe is a trapdoor type device that can effectively close down half the intercooler, bearing in mind its of a twin turbo model can it be used or do I need to link up two "straight through" pipes to aid airflow.

Pic in the middle is of a WRX factory plastic BOV...can this be used or not and does it go on the little outlet pipe on the right hand side of the intercooler.

SO MANY QUESTIONS I HEAR YOU YELLING.........ok just one more thing, the intercooler really does look like it would fit the car better if rotated 180 degrees...eg up down not left right. Will this work?

Thanks Heaps for the help.

post-21001-136027618518_thumb.jpg

post-21001-136027618525_thumb.jpg

that intercooler is looking the same as a regular single turbo WRX intercooler. If you can get a y-pipe for a regular one, it would work better then having to figure out the valve on the one side that shuts down half the intercooler.

Hey.

Is it possible to just use silicone hose for all the piping instead of fabricating custom aluminum pipes? Would an intercooler from a turbo diesel (eg mitsubishi pajero) work for an EA82T?

Cheers

Well my aluminum piping was pre bent and to connect them, I used silicone hoses. The intercooler for a diesel, (don't know what literage it is) are often way to big for a 1.8 liter turbo. It would create a lot of turbo lag and loss of boost, with as much surface area that has to be covered with air when the turbo is spooling.

That why you pump it up to like 30lbs hehehehe.....itl stay cool and your lag will mean somthing!!! oh hears a tip... those cheap intercoolers on ebay with those amazing flow ratings.. yeah theres a reason pricy intercoolers dont have those ratings... it sounds goofy but there are things called turbulaters (probbably spelled it wrong) they are like little fingers in the Core that stir up the air as it goes through there... heres an example>>>>

if you take the thermostat out of a car then it will over heat.. why? you all know this but... the water will be moving too fast in the radiator to cool of... so same principle... sorry for the non help...just wanted to insert some cool info to those new to turbines!

Oh hears some uneeded help.... i think caboobaru is right... just form up a Y fitting and smak it in there... you do have a BOV right?

beataru.. taking the thermostat out of a car desnt cause it to overheat unless the radiator is partially blocked. it CAN happen, but its far from a rule.. down here in south florida, lots of us just yank em instead of replacing, because we never have to worry about a truly "cold" start.

just FYI. someone had to tell me once, not too long ago.