Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Forester auto transmission fault

Hello fellow enthusiasts, my problem is a delay before transmission engages after shifting into drive, it's fine in reverse, any advice will be much appreciated.

The problem is worse after ATF is warmed up (around 10 seconds before engangement). Once the tranny engages it drives fine. I have changed the fluid and filter which seemed to improve it slightly but doesn't sort the problem.

Other posts have indicated around this year some kind of issue with a pump seal preventing rapid build up of pressure resulting in delayed engagement but I don't know if it applies to your vehicle.

Thanks for reply, if it was a pump seal would it not show the same symptoms when shifted to reverse?

Thanks for reply, if it was a pump seal would it not show the same symptoms when shifted to reverse?

eventually. If it takes more then one second to engage you have a tired front pump and seal. 2nd gear which is used for reverse doesnt need as much volume of oil to engage, so it will not be as bad.

How long to go from reverse to drive

nipper

eventually. If it takes more then one second to engage you have a tired front pump and seal. 2nd gear which is used for reverse doesnt need as much volume of oil to engage, so it will not be as bad.

How long to go from reverse to drive

nipper

Thanks for your comments, the box is off the car now so can't time the delay now. The box is half stripped and I have checked the valve assembly but can't see anything wrong there, was moving on to the pump next. Any idea where I can get seals and gaskets from? Please keep an eye on this thread as you seem quite knowledgeable.

Thanks for your comments, the box is off the car now so can't time the delay now. The box is half stripped and I have checked the valve assembly but can't see anything wrong there, was moving on to the pump next. Any idea where I can get seals and gaskets from? Please keep an eye on this thread as you seem quite knowledgeable.

How can I tell if the torque converter is ok?

Er....... um .... boy i dont pay attention to this board for a day and someone gets into all sorts of mischief.

I think this is the first i've seen somone pull a slushbox apart. i hope your keeping really really good track of things. An autobox is not for the timid to pull apart.

There are rebuild kits that you can get, but usually one tries to secure the kit first when doing it themselves.

There were a few steps that were skipped here, like a proer diagnostics. If we could time the delay, we could have gotten a better idea where the problems was, along with a few other diagnostic steps.

The pump has to be measured with a feeler gauge for wear, and i dont know what the specs are.

You really cant always tell things by looking at them, you need more diagnostics to know where to look. Its possible that you may still have the problem or worse, since this seems a little extreeme,

nipper

Cant now since you didnt let us tell you how to test it. Gut feeling there is nothing wrong with the torque converter.

nipper

Thanks Nipper, I've always been adventurous and meticulous too so I thought in for a penny in for a pound, as I'm retired I have the time anyway.