Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am putting aftermarket fog lights on my '97 Legacy. I got a used fog light switch from an Outback in a junkyard. The switch has 5 wires in the connector: 2 yellow w/ light blue, 1 white w/ yellow, 1 white, 1 black w/yellow.

I don't have a FSM or wiring diagram. Can anyone tell me what the individual wires went to?

I will be using a relay to power the lights, and I'll power the relay (with an inline fuse) directly from the battery. I'd like the switch to be powered only with the key on. What's the easiest place to tap into power? Easiest place to tap into instrument lights power?

Out of curiosity, look around the front fog light locations, the harness should be there. Then all you need really is the OE fog light relay.

nipper

Haven't found them yet. I have a Legacy L, not an Outback. I do know the rear wiring harnesses are not the same (Outback has a T connector for trailer wiring, my Legacy does not). I suspect it is the same up front and in the dash.

Can anybody confirm this?

Haven't found them yet. I have a Legacy L, not an Outback. I do know the rear wiring harnesses are not the same (Outback has a T connector for trailer wiring, my Legacy does not). I suspect it is the same up front and in the dash.

Can anybody confirm this?

i'm surprsied you can't find it. SUbaru being a small mfg tends to make one harness for one model. I'ld look at mine for you but its still in surgery.

nipper

I got the OEM Subaru Legacy Projector Fog Lamp Kit on ebay. It included the lamps, switch, relay and wiring harness. My '96 legacy "L" did not have the wiring pre-installed. I would assume "regular" Legacys do not have the wiring installed in the bumper ( unless they had dealer installed fogs )and that "Outbacks" do.

Here's some scans of the installation manual if you were wondering how the oem switch is wired..

post-15007-136027618589_thumb.jpg

post-15007-136027618597_thumb.jpg

post-15007-136027618602_thumb.jpg

post-15007-136027618606_thumb.jpg

I got the OEM Subaru Legacy Projector Fog Lamp Kit on ebay. It included the lamps, switch, relay and wiring harness. My '96 legacy "L" did not have the wiring pre-installed. I would assume "regular" Legacys do not have the wiring installed in the bumper ( unless they had dealer installed fogs )and that "Outbacks" do.

Here's some scans of the installation manual if you were wondering how the oem switch is wired..

Thanks for the info. (Thumbnails are kind of hard to read)

I checked with my locl Subaru dealer and both the projector and the standard fog light kits are no longer available.

Anybody have a kit they'd like to sell me?

If its an add on harness, you could go to a junkyard and pull one out of a car.....

nipper

...if there was a Legacy with the fog lights in a junkyard here, I'd have already pulled it out by now...but there are none. I was lucky to find even one Outback to get a switch out of.

Thanks for the info. (Thumbnails are kind of hard to read)

I checked with my locl Subaru dealer and both the projector and the standard fog light kits are no longer available.

Anybody have a kit they'd like to sell me?

The JDM fog kits show up on ebay all the time. search "95-99 legacy fog". Usually from 75 to 200 bucks.

Here's one now..although no harness it's in freakin hong kong....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-Subaru-92-98-Legacy-BG-BD-Projector-Fog-Lights-Lamp_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33709QQihZ016QQitemZ260044776597QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Sorry about the crummy pics...I shrunk them 3 times before they would attach....email me and I'll send the original scans from work.

BTW, I may be getting rid of my '96 soon and if I do, I'll sell the kit. They really work well and look cool too.

• 3 months later...
I am putting aftermarket fog lights on my '97 Legacy. I got a used fog light switch from an Outback in a junkyard. The switch has 5 wires in the connector: 2 yellow w/ light blue, 1 white w/ yellow, 1 white, 1 black w/yellow.

I don't have a FSM or wiring diagram. Can anyone tell me what the individual wires went to?

I will be using a relay to power the lights, and I'll power the relay (with an inline fuse) directly from the battery. I'd like the switch to be powered only with the key on. What's the easiest place to tap into power? Easiest place to tap into instrument lights power?

Still looking for wiring information? I can send you wiring info for Impreza out of FSM. It should be the same for Legacy. Drop me a PM with your snail mail address and I can send it off to you.

The yellow with light blue go to the low side of the lights, or ground. They supply the low for the edge lighting, the light to show the switch is on. Hook these to ground.

The white supplies the ground to the relay, via the yellow with light blue wire when the switch is pushed. Hook this to the ground side of the relay coil.

The white with yellow is for switch edge lighting. Hook this to the exterior lighting voltage so the switch lettering is lit when your headlights are on.

The black and yellow is your 12 volts to turn the light on in the switch to show it's on. This can come from any 12 volt source that's present with the ingnition on.

T.C., Please correct me if I am mistaken.

It is my recollection that the headlamp lighting circuit

is a ground control system.

e.g. The headlamp's common terminal is provided

positive battery voltage by the headlight relay(s).

The filament that is to be illuminated is provided a ground by the hi/lo

switch in the turn stalk.

If this is the case attaching the black/yellow wire to the low beam

wire would eliminate the positive voltage to the coil/"ON" lamp.

Two grounds do not a circuit make or sumtin like that?