Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ok.. saw some blue smoke this morning... Assuming that its the valve seals at 225k Im sure thats the problem anyhow What tools am I gonna need, that little star thingy on the head bolts..

Also what is the suggested list of replacement stuff... I'm going to pull the motor out.

Have you checked to see if they can be done without removing the heads? I had valve seals replaced on a chev. V-8 without removing the heads.

ok.. saw some blue smoke this morning... Assuming that its the valve seals at 225k Im sure thats the problem anyhow What tools am I gonna need, that little star thingy on the head bolts..

Also what is the suggested list of replacement stuff... I'm going to pull the motor out.

12 point socket for the "star thingies" and i think you're set assuming you have all the normal mechanics tools. air tools are super nice to have when doing head gaskets. helps in removing bolts, cleaning threads, cleaning bolts. you'll need a valve spring compressor unless a shop is doing them or you feel like getting creative with what you have.

Have you checked to see if they can be done without removing the heads? I had valve seals replaced on a chev. V-8 without removing the heads.

It can be done without removing the heads, buy using compressed air in the cylinder to keep the valves from falling in the cylinder.

Now my question is, does it go away after the car warms up. i have always been concerned about opening an engine up for a little thing like this, as it tend to snow ball into a valve job or bigger. A Valve job can blow a high mileage set of rings, etc. Can you live with this? How much oil does it use? Do a wet/dry compression test first and get a feeling for the health of the engine.

nipper

the blue smoke only appears only after downshifting or on accelleration on the freeway after decellerating--

Well then if I get my 81 running decently... how hard is it to rebuild the case? so rings and Bearings? Never done it and kinda affraid but With the help of the board perhaps I can get it done..

Or does anyone want a legacy for $400

time to ask yourself what you want for this car. the block should go another 100,000 miles at least so you really only need a head gasket job, not a full rebuild. i wouldn't consider a full rebuild unless you plan on having this car for another 300,000 miles and feel like replacing everything else as well. a full on rebuild is kind of silly if the car has 225,000 on the wheel bearings, driveshaft, starter, alternator, radiator, hoses, calipers...etc. a 100% reliable engine does you no good if everything else is 15+ years old with 225,000 miles.

good point. thicker oil 20w50 will leak far less than thinner stuff sometimes as well too. if the engine is running well this might be an excellent choice for another 100,000 miles. or at least worth tolerating until warmer weather comes!

I am not even talking about 20w 50. The highmilegae oil is by valvoline. It's still 10w 30. It just hasmore additive crap in it to help the seats and stuff like that. Some other companies make it. It is a little more expensive along with the lucas engine treatment but cheaper than engine work.

That lincoln has 400k on it now. Still no smoke.