Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Nonstarting issue... EA82 SPFI

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup basically, Still no start and I swapped the distys around with a known good disty straight from my RX. Got good spark but still just cranks. Timing is still on, checked it after I swapped distys around but still no go. I have good spark at the coil and at the plugs, so next, I'll check my fuel again. Pump still doesn't want to run unless the green connectors are connected. Even then, she still doesn't want to fire up. Maybe I'll have to check compression but it doesn't seem like a viable solution for it just suddenly dying on the P.O.

I also have my FSM out and am going to start checking things that it lists in the book for no starting, no initial combustion engines.

i know this is the THIRD time ive said this, and im kinda :horse:ing it, but have you listened for the sound of the fuel injector's operation? I STILL have yet to go back and re read the whole thread.. but you haven't answered me either :-p

There is a clicking coming from the TB area so I believe that would probably be the injector clicking?I also hear the fuel pump relay inside the car click when the grren connectors are connected...

Also, talked with Hondasucks a bit over the phone. He said I should try and disconnect the MAF sensor because if its giving the ECU a bad figure, it would cause it not to start as well. What about a bad ECU as well?

Not sure if this helps, but I just finished my auto to 5sp d/r conversion. I bypassed the park switch, turned the key and could hear the fuel pump bumping on & off kept turning and it fired up. Did a short test drive. Stopped the car. Reconnected a vacuum line I left off, restarted the engine, listened a minute or two and then turned the key off again and it locked in the ignition. It now doesn't start. It will turn over, but my fuel pump isn't running. I think I must have a bad key switch. I can't remove the key (even with pliers) Is there something in the keyswitch that could be causing your problems & possibly mine too. The igntion switch on mine felt pretty nasty. I don't know much about them.

his earlier post, #46 tells you to check the compression, spray some starter fluid in it, and try adjusting the distributor timing while you crank it. Two of those you have tried, (disty swap I assume would entail trying different timing settings :grin:) and the compression you cannot check. that one is sorta important, go to harbor freight and get a tester :-p

And, still, I would say it would be wise to put a large screwdriver agains the TB, with the other end in your ear, and see if the click you are hearing is in fact, the injector firing. You are probably right, but how angry would you be if you didnt verify that now, and then after another week of dead ends and bruised fingertips, discover that the injector WAS bad?

ok ok ok. No Harbor Freight here which sucks. Closes one is an hour away and no way am I gonna ride there on my mountain bike in 15 degree weather. I'll see if I can't borrow a compression tester from someone at work or buy one from Mac since I already owe him a heap of money (damn tools). I'll pour some gas down the TB but it doesn't really seem to be the case. When the green diagnosic connectors are together, I AM getting fuel into the TB and down it. I have had someone check that while I cranked it.

I seem to remember reading something that GD wrote about the ECU needing to get power on a certain pin in order to tell the ECU that it was cranking (in start position.) I think he was discussing his EFI swap, but it would indicate a possibility that a bad ignition switch could make it hard/impossible to start.

at this point, when I have a moment I am going to re read this while thread...

anyhow, if you say youve visually confirmed proper TBI operation, thats good enough and I will drop that :grin:

do you have access to a timing light? have you inspected the adjustment bolts on the disty? is it possible the disty timing got bumped somehow?? spark timing, or inadequacy or impropriety/abundance of fuel delivery, seem to be the two candidates left.. beyond compression, which is an issue that will already be determined when it can be.

Sorry to nag you about it, I'm jes tryin' to help!!

He already replaced disty's and checked timing. Acording to his assistant, the injector is pumping fuel down the throttle body. I'd turn the engine over slowly with a ratchet on the crank and see if you get resistance from the comp stroke on each cylender.

a yes/no compression test :grin:

could it be as simple as a temp sensor problem..4 months ago my car runs perfect and then suddenly it would not start...I try restarting the car and could not get it going...one of the pins on the connector side was so corroded that it could no longer give a tight contact for the sensor to work properly...visually everything looked good before this happened

could it be as simple as a temp sensor problem..4 months ago my car runs perfect and then suddenly it would not start...I try restarting the car and could not get it going...one of the pins on the connector side was so corroded that it could no longer give a tight contact for the sensor to work properly...visually everything looked good before this happened

This sounds very logical to me since the car just made a 18 hour trip a month and a half ago and the guy I bought it from claims it died with no indication of something being wrong. In my RSM, it mentions the temp sensor as being an option for not wanting to start but it also said something about in colder temps... hmmm I'll have to check this!

I had a VERY simliar problem in my Vortex turbo. The car would crank fine and try to start but never made it. The fuel pump supplied enough petrol with the ignition on, and would only cycle with the green connectors joined. However during cranking the pump didnt run. I eventually traced it to a nasty bit of wire 6 inches from the battery causing a weak spark and not enough power for the ECU to operate during cranking. The car would tow start with no worries. After replacing that stretch of wire it started fine.

Im just trying to say it could be worth checking your fuel pressure and spark during cranking - that was my problem.

it was still hot or very warm summer weather when the temp sensor would not work as described above...

This sounds very logical to me since the car just made a 18 hour trip a month and a half ago and the guy I bought it from claims it died with no indication of something being wrong. In my RSM, it mentions the temp sensor as being an option for not wanting to start but it also said something about in colder temps... hmmm I'll have to check this!

Just checked today when I was taking pics. My SPFI does NOT run the pump in the on posistion, but if you turn the key to start it runs continuously. Easy way to check your's - disconnect the small starter solenoid wire and turn the key to start. You should hear the pump run.

My check mark goes beside either the temp sensor (just unplug it), or a wireing problem somewhere.

GD

ok time for more info. I haven't checked the temp sensor but I did figure out that the fuel pump runs when cranking, yay go me. Now I'm going to go rotate the disty, check my timing for the millionth time and see what comes of it. I'm also going to double check the fuel injector and to make sure I'm getting fuel into the TB, not just a trickle. Then, if none of that works, then I'll be going after the temp sensor.

Just checked today when I was taking pics. My SPFI does NOT run the pump in the on posistion, but if you turn the key to start it runs continuously. Easy way to check your's - disconnect the small starter solenoid wire and turn the key to start. You should hear the pump run.

My check mark goes beside either the temp sensor (just unplug it), or a wireing problem somewhere.

GD

i KNEW i had read that elsewhere!!!!!

i avoided replying to your earlier remark (i think it was this thread) about my failing to hear it.... because i never tried harder to hear it :lol: but I thought I remembered coming to that conclusion, for sure, in the past at some point. and also, I thought I had read someone else saying so on here at LEAST twice..

anyhow, glad to know I am not TOO crazy. :grin: