Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need "check engine" light translation/help

the new 93 is flashing 3 check engine lights, one every second, followed by two really quick flashes. Anyone know what its throwing with this code??

Also had a incident twice now where she doesnt want to start, unless I floor the gas then she'll shoot up and run fine...hoping the two are related. beyond that im loving the car so far:banana:

the new 93 is flashing 3 check engine lights, one every second, followed by two really quick flashes. Anyone know what its throwing with this code??

Also had a incident twice now where she doesnt want to start, unless I floor the gas then she'll shoot up and run fine...hoping the two are related. beyond that im loving the car so far:banana:

That's code 32, meaning oxygen sensor or oxygen sensor's circuit.

Take care.

thanks guys...had a feeling cause it hesitates consistently.

as far as displaying it...dunno...its just doing it on the dash in that format..

Anyone have an online source for cheap o2 sensors?? I can get one from NAPA for 92 bucks but maybe online they are cheaper??

buy a non-OEM replacement O2 sensor. they can be had around 20/30 dollars. the $60 more for a plug isn't worth it. the non-OEM replacements just don't have the plastic harness connector on them. they will have only a wire and you cut the plastic connector off the old sensor and splice it on the new one's wire. they come with directions, very simple and it's only one wire! easy!

The other thing that bothers me is (if I understand correctly) the

error code display's itself without any test equipment or without

connecting the black connectors under the dash. Unless 93 is

different than my 90 the codes should not display automatically.

Either I am confused or 93 is different. If 93 and 90 are the same

then the black connectors are plugged together and the car won't

run right like that.

Someone straighten me out on this.

Richard

ya, i thought this was kind of weird that it would display it like it is...but personally, im glad it is....must have been the offer of a chocolate chip cookie that made her display the code on the dash like this :confused: :confused: :confused:

The other thing that bothers me is (if I understand correctly) the

error code display's itself without any test equipment or without

connecting the black connectors under the dash. Unless 93 is

different than my 90 the codes should not display automatically.

Either I am confused or 93 is different. If 93 and 90 are the same

then the black connectors are plugged together and the car won't

right like that.

Someone straighten me out on this.

Richard

buy a non-OEM replacement O2 sensor. they can be had around 20/30 dollars. the $60 more for a plug isn't worth it. the non-OEM replacements just don't have the plastic harness connector on them. they will have only a wire and you cut the plastic connector off the old sensor and splice it on the new one's wire. they come with directions, very simple and it's only one wire! easy!

What year O2 sensor are you looking at? the 90-94 O2 sensors have three wires. You can get a Bosch generic sensor for about 60, with all the parts you need to splice it to your plug. The diagnostic connectors being connected under the dash may also be why you are havign trouble starting the car.

The diagnostic connectors being connected under the dash may also be why you are havign trouble starting the car.
I just checked and if the diagnostic plug is the big black one with nothing plugged into it, then no I have no wires jumpered in that plug. I do however have two loose wires under there....will take a pic and post it.

The diagnostic connector is a pair of small single conductor

black plastic connectors. They are a pair that mate for

troubleshooting, to the left of the sterring column.

They are somewhat difficult to connect to each other, at least

on my 90 Legacy they are.

Of course your idea of large may equal my idea of small.

Richard

The diagnostic connector is a pair of small single conductor

black plastic connectors. They are a pair that mate for

troubleshooting, to the left of the sterring column.

They are somewhat difficult to connect to each other, at least

on my 90 Legacy they are.

Of course your idea of large may equal my idea of small.

Richard

i think that helps explain the light on the dash..LOL i remember seeing a pair of single prong green plugs (not black) unplugged yesterday and plugging them in....thats kind of funny...what an idiot LOL. so i unplugged them and now i have a simple solid check engine light. thanks guys.