Ultimate Subaru Message Board

intermittent starting problems??

so twice in two days the new car has not wanted to start....it just cranks over and over and over. called the old owner and she said to floor the gas and offer a cookie to it...guess what...it worked??? so what would cause it to not want to start unless its floored?? looks like I have a bad O2 but I dont think that would cause the problem?? Any experience with this issue??

thanks again

I wanna know about the cookie - might keep one in the glove box for emergencies!

Was it a bran cookie - they help me 'go'!

Yeah, most likely Engine Temp sensor - you'll probably get better mileage after replacing it.

I wouldn't discount the possibility that a good throttle body cleaning or a sticky IAC should be investigated.

Carl

Yeah, assuming coolant temp doesn't fix it, IAC wouldn't be a bad shot either. About this time in the age of the car though, the coolant temp sensor (located under the throttle body on the passenger side) usually goes bad. It also exhibits these kind of symptoms, so that's why I thought that first.

Yeah, assuming coolant temp doesn't fix it, IAC wouldn't be a bad shot either. About this time in the age of the car though, the coolant temp sensor (located under the throttle body on the passenger side) usually goes bad. It also exhibits these kind of symptoms, so that's why I thought that first.

do you guys know of the top of your head (since im at work and cant look), is this like the ea82 coolant temp sensors where its simple to get to or do I have to remove any stuff first??

dumb question...what is IAC??

do you guys know of the top of your head (since im at work and cant look), is this like the ea82 coolant temp sensors where its simple to get to or do I have to remove any stuff first??

dumb question...what is IAC??

Idle Air Control valve. finicky little valve on the throttle body that can get gummed up evidently. some folks say to beware using just ANY solvent and stick with TB cleaner specifically. I think even Subaru sells a specific TB cleaner.

Engine temp Sensor. I THINK some manuals say to remove the intake manifold, but everyone I've read reports doing ok with approriate tool selection and just moving a hose or harness outta the way. Haven't done it myself - just reporting what I've read about.

Carl

Here's a two-for-one deal for you: If you remove the IACV to clean it, you get a pretty clear shot at the engine coolant temp. sensor (it's somewhat hidden right below the IACV, IIRC.)

Both have been talked about quite a bit here, might try a search.

Good luck.

No removing the intake or anything, just look on the back of the intake on the passgenger side....it's the brown plug in the picture

Coolant Temp sensor is easy to remove - No harnesses or tubes; just unplug the sensor, undo it w/ a deep socket wrench (preferably w/ car facing down hill) and replace the sensor (make sure to wrap it in plumber's tape).

dscn2628rk4.th.jpg

No removing the intake or anything, just look on the back of the intake on the passgenger side....it's the brown plug in the picture

Coolant Temp sensor is easy to remove - No harnesses or tubes; just unplug the sensor, undo it w/ a deep socket wrench (preferably w/ car facing down hill) and replace the sensor (make sure to wrap it in plumber's tape).

dscn2628rk4.th.jpg

great pic! Is the blue connector the Temp Gauge sender?

Carl

great pic! Is the blue connector the Temp Gauge sender?

Carl

The gauge sender is the single wire black one just underneath the blue one and to the right of the brown one. Don't know what the blue one is. Seems to be dangling free...