Ultimate Subaru Message Board

thought i threw a rod or something bad..but

so the last few days I have noticed a tick/knocking sound....figured I was going to throw a rod or something. Well...today I was heading up a little hill and all of a sudden kaboom!!! sounded like I threw a rod, smoke blowing, and some loud knocking. I figured I was hosed but popped the hood to see the spark plug dangling and sparking against the fender well. What a relief...some how the plug worked its way loose and that was the ticking/knocking noise. So i put er back together and no noises......runs like a champ.

so if anyone has any ticking or knocking, check your plugs first ;)

Strange, this just happened to me about 3 weeks ago. Sounded and felt to me like I had developed a major exhaust leak and blown a tire all at the same time. Mine was the #4 plug and it took me a good long while to find.

Any ideas on why this happens (yes I torqued my plugs to recomendation)?

so the last few days I have noticed a tick/knocking sound....figured I was going to throw a rod or something. Well...today I was heading up a little hill and all of a sudden kaboom!!! sounded like I threw a rod, smoke blowing, and some loud knocking. I figured I was hosed but popped the hood to see the spark plug dangling and sparking against the fender well. What a relief...some how the plug worked its way loose and that was the ticking/knocking noise. So i put er back together and no noises......runs like a champ.

so if anyone has any ticking or knocking, check your plugs first ;)

You're not home free yet. The threads are usually damaged when the engine spits out a plug. You can re-install the plug OK, but the engine spits it out again after a few days to a couple of weeks. I hope you got lucky.

I'll be sure to keep my ears open for the ticking/knocking sounds and will check the tightness over the next few days/weeks. Any cure for it if it is in fact dabaged threads now??

• 1 month later...

if you have to put a heli coil in it would be in your best interest to take off the head, our threads are aluminum, witch means that if when you re-tap ,anything drops inside the cylendar, you cant use a magnet to get it out, all you can do is hope that it gets spit out the exhaust valve before it f's the wall up. on a ford, they can use a magnet to remove any debris