Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've been a devoted subaru fan since before I was old enough to start driving. My parents had a little Subaru DL in the late 70s that they beat the crap out of for about 10 years. That hooked me and I bought a new 89 Justy as a graduation gift to myself. In 98 I ugraded to a previous lease 97 Legacy that I'm still driving today.

I'm in no hurry to trade or sell my Legacy just yet. However, given that it's at 140K, repairs are more frequent, I figure it's time to do research while the Legacy is still, mostly, going strong. It's got some quirky flaws, but nothing horrific and repairs have been annoying but tolerable. I hope to get at least another 60K or so out of it, but just in case, it's better to be prepared than rushing into something in a crisis.

I'm currently debating between a Forester and a WRX. Both get decent Consumer Reports reviews, and my own experiences with Subarus leaves me to believe that either one will far outlast the payments. I tend to run my cars into the ground until the repairs outweigh the value of the car.

I'm doing a lot more highway driving than ever (about 2 hrs daily commute) and my back and right leg are painfully noticing the change in driving habits. Obviously, fuel efficiency is important, but just as much now is my being comfortable and not having car butt at the end of each leg of my journey. A decent sound system (which I did on the Legacy after the warranty expired) would be nice to have from the beginning as well.

What are your experiences with long distance driving and either vehicle? Part of me wants a nice new sporty car before I'm too old and bent to enjoy one, but the other part of me wants to be able to get out of my car and be mobile without numbness. :lol:

I value the input from the other USMB members here. I've been able to fix a lot of things on my Legacy on my own and, when I can't, know what I'm getting into before I get to the repair shop so I don't get too screwed. So, thank you in advance for any thoughts anyone cares to share on the subject.

You don't want to hear this but what you really want us to justify is your purchase of the WRX. I've been there before you, asked myself the same question, ...... and then answered the question with my head and not my heart. Yes, you'll enjoy driving the speed demon a lot more, and you'll make excuses just to go out to the driveway to look at it, or take it to the local conveience store. Then the head thing kicks in .... increased insurance costs, more speeding tickets?, more frequent and expensive tire replacements, premium fuel requirements, a harder ride, higher vandalism and theft target, and so on. With the commute that you have each day, the Forester is a better choice, unless you make big bucks and have a great deal of disposable income. In that case, buy the WRX. Otherwise, save your pennies, wait until the pension kicks in and you no longer have a mortgage, and then buy all the toys you want. It worked for me.

As far as speed and power and price this Forester and WRX are somewhat closely matched; handling is probably a lot nicer in the WRX? I should probably have made this into a table...

cars101.com: 2007 Forester XT Limited: horsepower rated at 224@5600 rpm, 226torque@3600, XT Limited turbo, manual trans, Ca spec, code 7FJ, list $27,895 (speed test - didn't see if for '07 but for '06 is was 2006 XT Ltd, 5spd manual, 0-60 5.9sec, 0-100 15.8sec, 1/4 mile14.3 sec @ 96mp),

edit: EPA economy rating: Manual trans - 22 city / 29 highwa

2007 Impreza WRX Limited sedan (grey or beige leather), 230 hp @ 5600 rpm, 235 lb-ft @ 3600 rpm, manual trans, codes 7JE, 7JF, list $27,495, 0-30 1.9s, 0-60 5.6s, 0-100 15.0s, 1/4 mile 14.2 sec @ 97.4 mph

edit: EPA city/hwy econ 20/26 mpg

You don't want to hear this but what you really want us to justify is your purchase of the WRX.

Nah, I'm not asking to justify a purchase of a WRX and I'm not looking at the STI, so the costs (at least on subaru.com) are fairly close between the Forester and the WRX for the features I'm looking for. I'm just looking for opinions now from people who have driven these cars and have knowledge of them -basically still gathering information before I test drive the cars. Subies had random quirks sometimes (at least the two I've had were randomly quirky) so I was also looking for that type of info from those with experience as well.

Speeding tickets aren't an issue for me, I don't drive like a maniac. And the $ won't be an issue when I'm ready to purchase, I don't dash out and buy a car on a whim -obviously given the two subies I've owned I've driven for 8 or more years -pretty much giving up only when the repair costs outweigh the value of the car. I'm far too analytical and stingy with my money to dump money into a pit.

Insurance costs, however, are a concern, as is fuel economy, and moreso, comfort. Subaru reliability has not failed me yet (hopefully it never will) and I don't want an Outback or the standard 4 door impreza sedan. Out of the current Subies, the Forester and the WRX are just what I'm most interested in.

Porcupine, thanks for the details. I'm going to check out that cars101.com

Nipper, why do you say it's a rolling brick?

Visit NASIOC and ask them there. The WRX is a true performer, but very little utility. The Forester ( especially the 04/05 XT which had a detuned STi motor ) is a real sleeper. And a utility wagon to boot.

You can run either stock, or spend thousands on upgrades. Some Foresters are above 300WHP and truly surprising those at the tracks.

Also insurance.....the WRX is very high. The Forester, even the XT, is much lower.

Your Choice, but in my opinion, both are great vehicles.