Ultimate Subaru Message Board

offroading without lift?

riverstream

Cool ive been thinking of cranking my frontsusp but some sub owner here thinks its better with lift blocks, and im kind of lazy at the moment have many other things to fix on my sub.

I do believe you completely screw up the front camber when you do the cranking as supposed to the lift blocks. How long do you like your tires to last?

I do believe you completely screw up the front camber when you do the cranking as supposed to the lift blocks. How long do you like your tires to last?

Ok good point ill maybe try and see for myself how the front camber goes before i put homemade liftkit in. Has anybody been putting in liftblocks just in the front???? im after a little lift just in the front.

Ok with the lift blocks, what you are doing is dropping down the X members and the struts at a (most of the time) equal level. If you just jack your suspention up(about +1.5"max) it will screw with your camber and you will go threw axles faster. The easiest thing to do, is just buy a 3, or 4" lift kit. They are relativly cheap.. They are pretty much a body lift though, the main thing they do is provide more fender clearance so you dont have to chop so much, what helps ya is the tires. If you really dont want to lift it.. Just run some 14" pugs, and some 25 or so inch tires. That will help out quite a bit, and with just 25's, you wouldnt need to trim/pound very much at all.

Also check out the Offroad Sticky in the offroad tech forum. It explains just about everything you could ever need to know, hope this helps..

i have been on cranked suspen for over a year now and any camber was hardly noticeable. plus tire ware seemed to be even. lets face it, it will cost you practically nothing to do it and if you don't like it you can put it back in no time. i have to say though a lift sure is nice:headbang:

i have been on cranked suspen for over a year now and any camber was hardly noticeable. plus tire ware seemed to be even. lets face it, it will cost you practically nothing to do it and if you don't like it you can put it back in no time. i have to say though a lift sure is nice:headbang:

Good point there going for selftest, ive been working on my front brakes today and it went good next thing now is my tubebumper then its cranking time.

the problem with cranking up the suspension. is you loose travel. ALOT of travel. especially if you go 1.5" or more. if you're just mudding, and you don't really need any suspension flex, go for it. but if you're on trails that require flex, a lift would be much better (and you'll get better approach and departure angles too!)

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been real lazy and my lift kit is not fabricated yet. The only thing ive done so far is some cutting in the front under the plastic bumper, heres a picture (bad mobile phone pic) with my car in my friends back yard. We were both surprised how the subaru could manage his back yard.

post-17272-136027619377_thumb.jpg

Since I dont offroad to much anymore. I always used speed as my lift kit. Then I busted my control arm and possibly bent the front left suspension, now I go through axels ans wheel bearings like cigarettes So I quit with that lol.. I would just floor it. I need a lift but Im not 4byn my hatch anymore. I need a wgon