Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The past 2 weeks have not been good weeks for my Subaru. Antifreeze is leaking pretty bad. I go through about a gallon of Antifreeze every 2 weeks. I don't know what the problem is, I don't see any leaks in the hoses. I've replaced the radiator cap, put some stop leak in, and it's still leaking. Any ideas?

What year and model? Sounds like an internal leak. Any vapor out the tail pipe? Any history of overheating?

2000 Legacy Outback. About 140,000 miles. I don't think there's any vapor out of the tail pipe. Last week was the very first time it has overheated, just do to there being no coolant in the system. I definetly smell antifreeze after I drive somewhere though. No antifreeze on the garage floor after I drive it.

There is a dye that you can add to the system and check with a UV light for subtle leaks but your's seems like it should be fairly noticeable with the naked eye. The 2000s were part of the external head gasket leak crowd and I think the principal offending area was at the rear cylinder on the driver's side. It may be cooking off on the hot engine and therefore not noticeable but again the volume you mention seems pretty significant. Look for crusty staining on the engine and check for external leaks while the engine is still hot.

Hello, have you been using the Subaru coolant conditioner (holts radweld)? I have an '00obw also (106k) and it says to put that in every coolant change due to propensity for external head gasket leaks. You might not see coolant on the floor if you still have the plastic under door installed as that might be catching it. Radiator cap in good shape, etc? Any oily residue in the coolant? Any cloudiness in the engine oil?

Even a small leak that starts leaking when the slightest pressure is in the system could result in the coolant loss you are seeing. AFAIK (hope!) the somewhat common internal head gasket leak was at least not as bad by this model year?

Definitely keep the coolant level topped up, before every trip if need be - even if you are fortunate enough to not have a blown head gasket if the heads warp from overheating that will not be cheap to fix.